Help a beginner spend a chunk of cash

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
da house of hardy #1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Help a beginner spend a chunk of cash

Post by da house of hardy #1 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:59 am

if we talk about that blank - handle of airrus rods, is it comfortable?

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:10 am

I only fly fish on rare occasions and just have a cheap-o department store fly rod. If I was really going to get into it and do it more than once every 5 years, I would have an AiRRUS Fly Rod. I would just rather have another bass rod! :lol:
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:57 am

Outlaws,

A 5wt is a great all around trout rod, but not an all around rod. I would say a 6wt is more versatile for things like bass, carp, and heavier trout work. The problem with fly fishing is that there isnt one do everything rod wt. You can make any rod do almost anything but they all do certain things a little better.

That scott rod is probably pretty decent, I have not fished that one. Take a look at the sage launch and fli, as well as the winston vapor. The loomis mid level rods are nice also for the bucks. Look at the streamdance metolius rods.

I would put the extra 50 bucks towards the rod instead of putting a reel of that quality on a cheaper rod. If you think you are going to get into fly fishing for good, which you probably will, buy something you wont want to replace as your skills improve. I would say dont go under the mid level rods in the $300 price range.
Düzbomb's Custom Jigs www.facebook.com/DUZBOMBS

Outlaws
Angler
Angler

Post by Outlaws » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:08 pm

Okay, so I went to Cabela's and just got home. I bought a few things. I got great help from one of the guys there who seemed to really know what he was talking about. And the best part is some of it was on sale. Not like kind of on sale, but real savings....which is going to mean I can spend it on all the other little things fly fishing involves thich are not a rod/reel/line.

First up, the rod. I was going to get the V2, but when I called, they said they had the Scott A2 in stock and on sale also. So I bought that in 5 wt, 4 piece, 9 ft. It was $285 on every single website I found, but it was on sale and I got it for $185. So I got a mid level $300 rod as far as I am concerned...I just didn't have to pay it. :P (I know I could have got a $400 Scott real for $300, but everything is life "for just a few pennies more...") I am happy with it. I compared it to a Temple Fork TiCP that they had. I have to admit that even though the TF had a slower action which I kind of liked, the Scott made me feel like I was gonna have to learn to "work the line" rather than just motion when I feel the load increase....if that makes sense to you non-noobs. ;)

For the reel I was going to get a Ross CLA, but the guy who seemed to know his stuff showed me a Lamson Litespeed 1.5...which he said they just came out with a new one with a new metal material, so they had to lower the price. I guess this one was $250 a month or so back, but now its $189...but it was actually on sale for $149, which is what I gladly paid after hearing the reasoning on why its nice. The gear is sealed so its going to stay cleaner than the Ross. Plus he said that even though the Lamson is on sale for $149, he would take it over the Ross CLA at $180 without even giving it a second though. (which gets rid of all "is he just selling me extensive crap" thought from my head) So I got a $250 reel for $149. The MSRP looks like its about $379, which is also nice because it shows it was actually a price drop when it went to $189 before going on sale to $149. He also showed me the replacement model that was now $250 and while it was noticeably lighter in weight, it felt the same while spinning the reel.

Okay, last but not least, the line. Ya, so I didn't get Cortland 555 with the rocket taper. They were all sold out of 5 wt. And at a sale price of $30 I can see why. 50% off has that effect on products. So since I am a beginner he sold me some Scientific Anglers Headstart line. It was $40, but two reason made it seem like a good option.....
1. It has a bump that I can feel (I haven't felt it yet) while reeling in so I know when to recast. I am a beginner you know....I need all the cheats I can get for the time being.
2. I figure this first line is going to get filthy from me practicing out in the street, and I don't need a $60 line to trash.
When I get better I will buy the really good stuff, so don't worry, your posts have not simply gone in one ear and out the other on me. :P

All told I spent $404 and saved $200 because of the sale/price drop.

How did I do?

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:20 pm

sounds like you did really good all around, I still would have picked the ross over the lamson, but that may just be personal choice. You got some grat deals which always feels good.
The headstart is a great line, esp for beginners, I dont think the telecast bump will help you much but it still a good line. When you go to buy a great line, please get one of the rio lines. They are unbelievable. I used to be a diehard Scientific Anglers guy, and I still fish some of their lines, esp their saltwater stuff, but the rio stuff has replaced everything else. And as far as cortland, ask anyone that does a lot of fishing and they will say never buy these lines. They wear down very fast, they tend to kink and hold memory, and they also will crack.
Try the rio selective trout, rio nymph, or if the rod is faster the rio clouser or rio grande.

enjoy yourself, now that you have some gear get out there, dont worry about the stuff, just put your time in and your skills will follow
Düzbomb's Custom Jigs www.facebook.com/DUZBOMBS

da house of hardy #1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by da house of hardy #1 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:36 pm

congrats! nice line you took there ;)

Outlaws
Angler
Angler

Post by Outlaws » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:09 pm

DUZBASS wrote:Outlaws,

A 5wt is a great all around trout rod, but not an all around rod. I would say a 6wt is more versatile for things like bass, carp, and heavier trout work. The problem with fly fishing is that there isnt one do everything rod wt. You can make any rod do almost anything but they all do certain things a little better.
So about this....I am not going to be in any danger on breaking my line/rod/reel am I if I get a bass or something? I don't intend to only fish for trout. :?

Also, just a dumb noob question, but do I not reel a fish in like I would with a spinning reel? The guy at the shop made it sound like you let the fish swim and when it swims toward you then you reel up the slack....but then when it pulls you just let it go until it stops. So if I don't need much drag on fresh water, is that where have the reel going with little to no resistance in either direction, or where its got some resistance to letting the line out?

SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:04 pm

Hey good for you, I did the same thing, Cabela's had the VPS sage on sale for 170 with a original price of like 350 so I bought it.

Corey

elrodphil
Angler
Angler

Post by elrodphil » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:33 pm

First of all you need to get a rod that will allow you to feel your backcast good enough for you to learn to cast...I don't know how well you can cast...I've been a fly fishing instructor for 10 years and I have seen alot of casters...the Winston WT series in a 9'5wt would be a great choice for a rod. You'll have the best right off the bat...You can feel everything from beginning to end. The Ross Cimmaron is a also a great reel and has a geat drag....Cortland 555 WF5F fly line is the all around fly line that you want....If you have to go cheap on something make it the reel...