Who makes the best fly rods?

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Brookie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Brookie » Wed May 07, 2003 4:01 pm

Listing from what you think is the BEST to worst fly rod manufacturers out there. For me, I would say:
(Top)
Sage
Winston
(Mid)
Loomis
St Croix
(Low)
SA
Orvis
3rd party brands
etc.

Buzz
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler

Re: Who makes the best fly rods?

Post by Buzz » Thu May 08, 2003 1:20 am

Well,

To answer your question I think it really depends on what you're looking for. If you look at fly rods it is alot like car makers. Each company strives for thier niche and has thier own core competency.

Fast action rods, I think Loomis.
Softer action rods I think Scott

Medium priced rods I think St. Croix

Small trout rods I think Orvis.

Good all around Sage, Winston.

It really depends. I have owned many of these brands, but I will say this. In suggesting a particular rods I need to know more about the user, thier style, the application, thier experience, thier price range, and thier likes and dislikes.

Are you looking for a particular rod for a particular purpose?? #-o
Or are you looking for one brand??

Joe_Rock
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Joe_Rock » Fri May 09, 2003 9:10 am

St. Croix, but what do I know...I'm biased. :lol:

Post by Guest » Fri May 23, 2003 7:16 am

I have no experience with all the brands. Used to fish many years ago with off the rack Wright & McGill. Got back into fly fishing recently and followed the recommendation of a friend with lots more experience fly fishing experience.

I got a St. Croix Legend Elite in 8 wt and was simply amazed at how good a caster I was. It is so easy to cast with great distance and accuracy, I actually look like I know what I'm doing. I just can't imagine what I would need a more expensive rod for. I can cast big bass poppers right under limbs over the water next to shore all day and not get tired, or pull in 15+ pound Chum one after the other until they wear me out.

I then got a St. Croix Avid 4 wt for smaller fish. It's a bit softer flex and gives better control for little flies on long, light tippets.

I used the money saved on the rod for the highest quality salmon/steelhead reel (Bauer) and the better quality lines.

Buzz
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler

Post by Buzz » Fri May 23, 2003 10:04 am

Sounds like you are really happy with your set up. I am also a very big fan of Bauer Reels and their cork drag system. I haven't had the opportunity to fish with St. Croix rods yet, but you bring up an interesting point of being able to spen the extra $$ in other places with minimal to know loss in performance from the rod.

Tight Lines,

Buzz
:lol:

Post by Guest » Fri May 23, 2003 1:23 pm

Indeed, you can spend twice as much for a Sage, but it won't cast twice as good as a similar St. Croix. Only a very well seasoned pro caster can feel any very subtle difference at all.

I bought the blanks and made them to my criteria. Black non-shinny "stealth fittings. Why flash the sun at the wary prey with chrome anouncing your presence??? Titanium guides for ultra low friction and ultra long wear. Snake guides rather than single foot for less hanging up in the brush, winding check and thread wraps in my custom colors. Made it in all ways to my specs for $100 less out of pocket than a factory complete rod off the rack. Add a dozen patient hours for DIY labor.

High quality superb function custom rod for perhaps a third the cost of a Sage or Winston. It's a no brainer in my book.

Buzz
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler

Post by Buzz » Tue May 27, 2003 6:46 pm

I too have a similar custom rod that is a dull grey Scott Alpha Series blank. Custom wraps, titanium eyes, and stipes that mark 16' 20' and 24" so I can measure the length of my fish without a tape.

I am very impressed with the versatility of the rod, and it too was a fraction of the cost of many name brands.

The low cost is a plus, but fishing with your own custom tailored rod puts a signature on your fishing that I really enjoy.

Tight Lines,

Buzz :lol:

Post by Guest » Fri May 30, 2003 12:03 am

[quote="Doctor T"]
I got a St. Croix Legend Elite in 8 wt

That was an error. It's the Legend Ultra, not the Elite.

formula1
Angler
Angler

Post by formula1 » Fri May 30, 2003 6:05 am

I think a lot of this depends on what kind of caster you are. I prefer fast action rods that throw tight loops. Personally I've had a couple of Sages, including RPLxi and been very disappointed (I'm giving away the last one I have to my brother). I fish everything from small trout streams to bass ponds to saltwater (stripers in the NE, salmon in Alaska, tarpon in the Keys, etc) so I like to think I have a broad range of experience. I always try to cast every new rod that comes out. I find that Thomas and Thomas consistently produces spectacular rods, and I am impressed with the Loomis GLX and Redington NiT series as well. I definitely don't rate Orvis low - this is a legendary name in flyfishing and although their rods tend to be heavier, they also have nice feel and cast well. St Croix also makes some nice casting rods. This is how I would rate them (without price consideration - low end does not mean low price but in terms of performance):

High End:
Thomas and Thomas
G Loomis
Redington (NiT and NiTQ)

MidRange:
Orvis
Scott
Sage
Powell
St Croix

Low End:
LL Bean
Cabela's

formula1
Angler
Angler

Post by formula1 » Fri May 30, 2003 6:47 am

Doctor T wrote:Indeed, you can spend twice as much for a Sage, but it won't cast twice as good as a similar St. Croix. Only a very well seasoned pro caster can feel any very subtle difference at all.

I bought the blanks and made them to my criteria. Black non-shinny "stealth fittings. Why flash the sun at the wary prey with chrome anouncing your presence??? Titanium guides for ultra low friction and ultra long wear. Snake guides rather than single foot for less hanging up in the brush, winding check and thread wraps in my custom colors. Made it in all ways to my specs for $100 less out of pocket than a factory complete rod off the rack. Add a dozen patient hours for DIY labor.

High quality superb function custom rod for perhaps a third the cost of a Sage or Winston. It's a no brainer in my book.
I've made custom rods in the past and continue to do so, however, the problem with this is that frequently the manufacturers don't sell the blanks for their top of the line rods and I usually like the high end models best (they are usually fast action that suits my casting style the best). Plus, when I buy a ready made rod, I have the assurance of a guarantee. You get a guarantee with the blank, but it covers only the blank - I have a real problem with this on fishing trips I do - I might be in the Keys, or Cabo San Lucas, and if my #1 rod breaks on a fish and all I get back is a blank, it does me no good and I certainly don't have the time to build a rod right then and there - but with Loomis they have the 48 hour expediter service which means I am back in action in 48 hours with a new rod, same thing for Redington. I also have verbal agreements with the shops I buy my rods from to overnight replacements to me if necessary and then go to the manufacuturer after I return from a trip...when you're spending thousands on a trip, saving $100 on a rod could possibly be false economy...

Buzz
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler

Post by Buzz » Fri May 30, 2003 3:03 pm

Doctor T,

Why were you disapointed with the Sage RPLxi??