Leaders

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Leaders

Post by swear by senkos » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:19 pm

I have always bought leaders, and was just wondering, could you just use a piece of flo. Carbon line, I am not sure though because i am pretty sure the leaders are tapered right, any advice would be good.

bob K
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Leaders

Post by bob K » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:57 pm

swear by senkos wrote:I have always bought leaders, and was just wondering, could you just use a piece of flo. Carbon line, I am not sure though because i am pretty sure the leaders are tapered right, any advice would be good.
I just started tying leaders myself, bought about 8 rolls of 27 yards each of Maxima leader material at about $3.50-4.00 per spool. Monofilament is about $3.50 for 300 yards!! I don't see why one couldn't use flo. Carbon for a leader for wet flies. For dry flies you need the butt end of the leader more stiff than the center and tippet to transfer the energy from the line.
does anyone know where to find diameter size for spinning lines. It usually isn't on the spools that I have bought. good luck in your quest. I think we fly fishers try to over sophisticate the sport. Spinning line for a simle leader is probably right on. I was in Tasmania Australia and a member of the Australian fly fishing team uses a strand of single line. Try it!
bob k

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Leaders

Post by Reno Reeler » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:03 pm

[glow=black] Bob K [/glow],

[shadow=Orange][font=Verdana] Welcome to the TackleTour Forum![/font][/shadow]