Deps sidewinder Dom Driver

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Deps sidewinder Dom Driver

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:10 pm

Hello TT

Does anybody have any first hand experience with the Deps HGC-80XH/SE Dom Driver? I’m really thinking about picking one up but want some input on the rod before I drop $700+ on it.

Thanks

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Deps sidewinder Dom Driver

Post by Cal » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:16 pm

Weight of the rod is listed at 270grams ... that's roughly 9.5 ounces. For a rod rated up to only 4 ounces in lure weight, that's A LOT.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:23 pm

Thanks cal. I didn’t know the rod weighed in at 270g. I know a few people toss the Deps 250 on it. I’m pretty much stuck between the Dom driver and the leviathan omega xh

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:27 pm

From all the consensus is leviathan is the business so I would run with that and save some coin for baits :big grin:
So you pay a lot less and get an amazing blank

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:22 pm

The Leviathan XH would make a much better choice. I've had a different DEPS stick I brought back from Japan back in 2013 with the intent of using it for swimbaits. Used it once and found it just too cumbersome to fish.

Other sticks that will suit the Deps Slideswimmer 250:

Phenix Ultra Swimbait 790H

Actually, that might be in from recent memory. The Kistler KLX I wrote up a couple years ago is no longer available with that same blank and I'm not sure if there's a new version.

and of course, the Onager is out of production too.

If you can find it, the Megabass Destroyer TS78X Baccarat might suit. I have the King of Baccarat and is is a very capable stick.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:06 am

Bay_Bassin86 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:23 pm
Thanks cal. I didn’t know the rod weighed in at 270g. I know a few people toss the Deps 250 on it. I’m pretty much stuck between the Dom driver and the leviathan omega xh
I use the Leviathan XH. Rod works well, it's well balanced so it feels light in hand to me and its half the price. It can sling the bait a long way without much effort once you figure out the way you like to cast it. I have been going hard with my 250's over the past week and will keep fishing them instead of switching baits all the time.

I have been rewatching this video with English subs to keep me motivated
https://youtu.be/VGbRvTFs1VQ

I need to enjoy what I have currently and work with what I have and stop looking at the next bait to buy. I have been looking at Deps rods too for no reason, smh...I am buying a Leviathan XXH for my future ghost :lol: