Fishing Docks with Hard swim baits

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Fishing Docks with Hard swim baits

Post by goldrod » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:36 pm

I got my first hard swimbait in. Neat little color gan craft 178f
And one of the reasons I said I wanted to try this was hearing about guys fishing docks with glide baits and pulling the brutes of the dock off.

I think this is a better way to fish docks and wanted to know your thoughts and get some assistance in fishing this particular bait.

Anything you can offer is greatly appreciated especially how to select the action of the rod for this lure
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fishing Docks with Hard swim baits

Post by LowRange » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:35 am

I've never heard of this. Monitoring.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:59 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:35 am

I’ll post video
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:44 pm

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:30 pm

I know a few guys who do this on a relatively pressured lake, that holds some double digits. Fish are very hard to catch, and they reside under docks. I've seen a few come out from under a dock and nose up right next to big swimbaits. They will look at it for a long while, but eventually slowly swim back under the dock no matter how the bait is manipulated. 5s and 6s will smash it, but the giants rarely take it.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:57 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:30 pm
I know a few guys who do this on a relatively pressured lake, that holds some double digits. Fish are very hard to catch, and they reside under docks. I've seen a few come out from under a dock and nose up right next to big swimbaits. They will look at it for a long while, but eventually slowly swim back under the dock no matter how the bait is manipulated. 5s and 6s will smash it, but the giants rarely take it.
I really like the video not the commentary though but it made me think out side the box a little bit

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:15 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:36 pm
I think this is a better way to fish docks and wanted to know your thoughts and get some assistance in fishing this particular bait.
Gan Craft makes a stick specifically for the JC 178. Ideally, get your hands on one of these sticks, or find one with a similar specification: Gan Craft Dead Sword KG-00 6-710EXH

Then, a reel with a 7 or 8 to one retrieve ratio. You want a reel that can pick up slack quickly.

Your line of choice...

Then, just mix up the retrieves. I fish these baits on a steady retrieve to get the bait swimming side to side, but a lot of guys fish them like jerkbaits. Others will do several quick spins of the handle then stop getting the bait to swim off to one side. If you can predict the glide so that the bait swims under, or almost under the dock, even better.

With a short, stout stick like the Dead Sword, all this is very easy near cover.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:44 am

I've fished this way around docks, mostly with a slow sink Deps 175. Works great when they're eating the big bait. Definitetly has the drawing power to pull the fish out from under a dock. Could throw a follow up bait like a senko or something if they don't hit the big bait. You can also skip big soft swimbaits way up and under docks. Food for thought.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:17 pm

Cal wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:15 am
goldrod wrote:
Gan Craft makes a stick specifically for the JC 178. Ideally, get your hands on one of these sticks, or find one with a similar specification: Gan Craft Dead Sword KG-00 6-710EXH

Then, a reel with a 7 or 8 to one retrieve ratio. You want a reel that can pick up slack quickly.

Your line of choice...

Then, just mix up the retrieves. I fish these baits on a steady retrieve to get the bait swimming side to side, but a lot of guys fish them like jerkbaits. Others will do several quick spins of the handle then stop getting the bait to swim off to one side. If you can predict the glide so that the bait swims under, or almost under the dock, even better.

With a short, stout stick like the Dead Sword, all this is very easy near cover.

Cal,
You going to have me sleeping in the garage..
At least the boat is in there lol

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:12 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:17 pm

Cal,
You going to have me sleeping in the garage..
At least the boat is in there lol
You wouldn't be the first ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:49 pm

Ok, I got the sinking version in and I went out with it today just to SEE how to work it and it works much much better than the floating for me. The only thing for me Is I cant seem to cast the thing without it twisting in the air. Today I just took out my valkyrie 7'1'" rod and Fuego reel. I was hoping to get bit but i learned alot in the process, and its not bad. I am wondering if my dobyns 805 rod would suffice cause its useless to me and just sitting on the rack but its an 8' rod that has a tip. I know some people like a parabolic tip for punching but this is too parabolic for me. Imma donkey kick hook setting machine and I dont have time for the rod to catch up to me. Im fishing 1/4 to 1 ounce weights but for me lighter weights have just produced for me so maybe its because Ive on the light side but thats another rant.

anyways any other tips would be greatly appreciated

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:56 pm

Cal wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:15 am
goldrod wrote:

Your line of choice...

Its at the top of my list.. probably a Valentine's day after conversation with the wife.. :lol: :lol:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:03 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:35 am
I have a buddy who I've recently reconnected with and although he want give me everything
we fish the same body of water alot, however he does more than I do and he will go three days in a row.

From what I can tell he's using magdrafts and some other Swimbaits that aren't soft. in one day 4 5lbers but the followers
they are the scariest.. If he ever connects man.. i'll hear about it all years long.
So Im trying to shorten my learning curve.. after today I will buy more 178 especially if i can find a case for them..

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:29 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:49 pm
tips would be greatly appreciated
You’re gonna think I’m crazy but try fishing these with fluorocarbon. It’ll weight the floater nose down promoting movement. As for your cast put a slight angle to it, not straight vertical. And you want a fairly firm stick to feel the bait, so you can let it move, where a soft tip tends to hide feedback and blunt response
PEACE

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:34 am

What 2.5 oz max size swimbaits would you recommend to running along docks? They are the post kind in 6 feet of water. I have a 72H Hyuga that really a H+ that taps put at 2.5 oz that I use out of a kayak. It's rated to 4 oz but 3 oz is a bit much but workable. 2.5 oz the upper sweet spot. I fish the crap out of these docks every spring but want to bring a big bait stick with me this year. I'm thinking some sort of slow sink glide bait or weedless bait.