Floating S-Waver?

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
shadybanks
Angler
Angler

Floating S-Waver?

Post by shadybanks » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:09 pm

My first S-Waver was a 168 in Party Crasher...It's a floater and will dive a foot or so on a cast.

I bought a bunch of new ones and noticed they all slowly sink. Was my first one a fluke or did they ever make a floater?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Floating S-Waver?

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:47 am

I'm pretty sure they're all supposed to be slow sink...
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:44 pm

I had one that would sit just under the surface and would very very slowly float up on the pause. But I believe Cal is correct, they are supposed to slow-sink.

They are great lures, but I would gladly pay a little more for better QC.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:24 pm

Houndfish wrote:I had one that would sit just under the surface and would very very slowly float up on the pause.
Ohhhh... that sounds deadly! :shock:
Cal, Managing Editor

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:53 pm

Cal wrote:
Houndfish wrote:I had one that would sit just under the surface and would very very slowly float up on the pause.
Ohhhh... that sounds deadly! :shock:
It was!

Sadly an osprey thought so too and stole it from me :crying:

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:21 pm

Houndfish wrote:It was!

Sadly an osprey thought so too and stole it from me :crying:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :crying: :crying: :crying: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:24 am

If you'd have set the hook it would've made for a bitchin' kite!
This is the way.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:16 am

Sorry for your loss. I lost a 168 size S-Waver last week. I cut it off to tie on another bait. I then dropped it on the left rod locker lid of the front deck on my boat. It hit funny and bounced like a ball going overboard. At least it wasn't a Mother! :lol:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:14 am

toddmc wrote:Sorry for your loss. I lost a 168 size S-Waver last week. I cut it off to tie on another bait. I then dropped it on the left rod locker lid of the front deck on my boat. It hit funny and bounced like a ball going overboard. At least it wasn't a Mother! :lol:
I bet you mentioned a different kind of mother when that happened! :lol:

I used to test my jointed swimbaits in a local pond that was stocked with trout, so there were always osprey hanging around.
I used to make a long cast with a floater, twitch it, and see how it reacted on a dead stick/twitch retrieve. That is, until an osprey dove on it, and then I'd have to snatch it away at the last minute. I wasn't there to tease them, but I have to admit it was funny when one got fooled.
Having "caught" a seagull before, when it flew into my crankbait's line after I had made a cast and the bait was still in the air, I can tell you it's no fun trying to get your lure back.
A word to the wise. Use a net to get the bird in the boat, and turn it upside down, so the bird is pinned to the deck. Then you can use a towel to cover the bird, which will calm it, and let you get to the bait or cut your line loose from the bird, without damage to it or you.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:12 am

mark poulson wrote:
toddmc wrote:Sorry for your loss. I lost a 168 size S-Waver last week. I cut it off to tie on another bait. I then dropped it on the left rod locker lid of the front deck on my boat. It hit funny and bounced like a ball going overboard. At least it wasn't a Mother! :lol:
I bet you mentioned a different kind of mother when that happened! :lol:

I used to test my jointed swimbaits in a local pond that was stocked with trout, so there were always osprey hanging around.
I used to make a long cast with a floater, twitch it, and see how it reacted on a dead stick/twitch retrieve. That is, until an osprey dove on it, and then I'd have to snatch it away at the last minute. I wasn't there to tease them, but I have to admit it was funny when one got fooled.
Having "caught" a seagull before, when it flew into my crankbait's line after I had made a cast and the bait was still in the air, I can tell you it's no fun trying to get your lure back.
A word to the wise. Use a net to get the bird in the boat, and turn it upside down, so the bird is pinned to the deck. Then you can use a towel to cover the bird, which will calm it, and let you get to the bait or cut your line loose from the bird, without damage to it or you.
I was spewing a few expletives as I reached in the water to try to retrieve it. It bounced off of my hand and glided down out of sight ](*,) . I have caught a mallard in mid air with a spook and a grebe on a spoon. I felt horrible about both. Taking the hooks out was a lot of work. The Ospreys love the wake baits. I've had several of them test me to see how quickly I can reel in my bait.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:34 am

mark poulson wrote: A word to the wise. Use a net to get the bird in the boat, and turn it upside down, so the bird is pinned to the deck. Then you can use a towel to cover the bird, which will calm it, and let you get to the bait or cut your line loose from the bird, without damage to it or you.
That was more or less my plan, but all I had with me was an expensive raincoat, so maybe it was better I didn't get to try and swaddle an angry raptor in it.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:15 pm

Houndfish wrote:
mark poulson wrote: A word to the wise. Use a net to get the bird in the boat, and turn it upside down, so the bird is pinned to the deck. Then you can use a towel to cover the bird, which will calm it, and let you get to the bait or cut your line loose from the bird, without damage to it or you.
That was more or less my plan, but all I had with me was an expensive raincoat, so maybe it was better I didn't get to try and swaddle an angry raptor in it.
Amen!