Swimbait - Split belly with home made line through treble

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Swimbait - Split belly with home made line through treble

Post by Chicagoed » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:16 pm

Anyone ever fish a split belly swimbait (paddletail)? I recently read an article where Russ Lane uses a coffee stirrer through the nose as a line through apparatus and then attaches a weight and treble hook under the split belly. I was curious if anyone has a recommendation on a favorite split belly that would be good for this technique. Looks very interesting to me. It's probably been around for awhile and I'm just late to the party...which is usual! :oops:

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Swimbait - Split belly with home made line through treble

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:59 pm

I've been using a Jackall Rhythm Wave for this(fishing for speckled trout and redfish)and the angle of the nose is perfect for inserting a rivet(Ott Defoe style). I spent a couple weeks perfecting it, and it turned out great. I use a pick to make the hole, and then push the rivet on the pick and push it through. One of the best things about this rig is the fact that I get on average around 15 fish on 1 bait. I insert a weight(DOA shrimp weight)between the rivet and the hook, and also add a hook keeper to keep the hook from tearing the belly of the bait up. The reason I use the small/short DOA weight instead of a nail weight is the freedom of movement it gives the whole body of the bait, looks very natural with the way it "slithers" through the water. Fish just can't shake this rig, I was able to land 63 of 64 trout over 24" in a 3 month period, which is unheard of. I throw these on my 842 or 843, doesn't need much power since it's just a treble. Here's a short video of how the lure swims:
https://youtu.be/SlaJ-3TAfZ4

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:53 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:I've been using a Jackall Rhythm Wave for this(fishing for speckled trout and redfish)and the angle of the nose is perfect for inserting a rivet(Ott Defoe style). I spent a couple weeks perfecting it, and it turned out great. I use a pick to make the hole, and then push the rivet on the pick and push it through. One of the best things about this rig is the fact that I get on average around 15 fish on 1 bait. I insert a weight(DOA shrimp weight)between the rivet and the hook, and also add a hook keeper to keep the hook from tearing the belly of the bait up. The reason I use the small/short DOA weight instead of a nail weight is the freedom of movement it gives the whole body of the bait, looks very natural with the way it "slithers" through the water. Fish just can't shake this rig, I was able to land 63 of 64 trout over 24" in a 3 month period, which is unheard of. I throw these on my 842 or 843, doesn't need much power since it's just a treble. Here's a short video of how the lure swims:
https://youtu.be/SlaJ-3TAfZ4
That's exactly what I'm after. You rig it different than what I was expecting but the swimming action is impressive. Would love to see a pic of your setup for clarification (the nose and underbelly). You mentioned that you use a rivet...I'd like to see what you are using for that. The rivet I'm picturing wouldn't fit that size bait, but obviously it does. Also, the DOA shrimp bait...I tried googling it but can't seem to find it. Either way, thanks for the tip...based on your vid that setup is stellar.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:14 pm

I use these instead of rivets.
poke the pick awl or needle through...then put the end of the straw on the point and push it back out.

Cut the straw to the length you want and where you want it.

you can get a bunch out of the straws.
http://amzn.to/2j27ci1

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:34 pm

I tried the straw version first. There is no comparison, rivet holds way better. A little glue around the lip of the rivet and it will never rip or come out. A 100 pack of long aluminum rivets cost around $8 on eBay and work perfectly. The long rivets also fit perfectly in the Rhythm Waves nose and just barely stick out. Tried several different "tubes" and nothing came close. I was worried about line rubbing on the metal tube, but haven't had any issue with that. I also use an Owner centering pin in the belly slit just before the tail, and use the loop to keep the hook from pulling forward and tearing the belly out. I'll get some pics of my version soon, and try to post them here.

The best part about these baits is the fact that fish just cannot shake them loose. I've actually gone total slack line for 10 seconds (let them swim when they take you under a dock) and still couldn't shake it. It really is incredible, especially with speckled trout that are notorious for shaking loose.

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:41 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:I use these instead of rivets.
poke the pick awl or needle through...then put the end of the straw on the point and push it back out.

Thanks Scooby, that's the version I had read about. I originally saw it used with coffee straws but those you posted look like they will hold up much better.

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:07 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:I tried the straw version first. There is no comparison, rivet holds way better. A little glue around the lip of the rivet and it will never rip or come out. A 100 pack of long aluminum rivets cost around $8 on eBay and work perfectly. The long rivets also fit perfectly in the Rhythm Waves nose and just barely stick out. Tried several different "tubes" and nothing came close. I was worried about line rubbing on the metal tube, but haven't had any issue with that. I also use an Owner centering pin in the belly slit just before the tail, and use the loop to keep the hook from pulling forward and tearing the belly out. I'll get some pics of my version soon, and try to post them here.

The best part about these baits is the fact that fish just cannot shake them loose. I've actually gone total slack line for 10 seconds (let them swim when they take you under a dock) and still couldn't shake it. It really is incredible, especially with speckled trout that are notorious for shaking loose.
I'm really looking forward to seeing your setup. Please post pics when you have a chance. I know a thing or two about shake offs :-({|= . What rod do you like to throw it on? I was thinking on using a NRX 852c. A bit fast but I think it would work.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:24 pm

I would think the 852 would work great. I've been using an NRX 842c, really like the light tip action when a fish eats. Feels like someone punches you in the arm when you get bit, and the tip absorbs a lot of the shock from the bite. Hookset at that point is more of a reaction to the THUMP! 852 should be very similar, just not as much flex when fighting the fish, but that shouldn't matter much. Having some trouble posting pics since the whole Photobucket thing went down, but I'll get it figured out soon.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:45 pm

Chicagoed wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:I use these instead of rivets.

Thanks Scooby, that's the version I had read about. I originally saw it used with coffee straws but those you posted look like they will hold up much better.
No problem
you can also cut "barbs" into the red straws if you care to. It helps keep them pinned better on the cast

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:05 am

Couldn't figure out the picture posting, so I just made a video showing how I make them. Hope this gives you some ideas.
https://youtu.be/gxSbAm55a8w

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:57 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:Couldn't figure out the picture posting, so I just made a video showing how I make them. Hope this gives you some ideas.
Been trying to view vid but it keeps saying this video is unavailable. I tried signing in and also viewing it from pc, laptop, tablet. No go. Any idea what i might be doing wrong?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:10 am

Chicagoed wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:Couldn't figure out the picture posting, so I just made a video showing how I make them. Hope this gives you some ideas.
Been trying to view vid but it keeps saying this video is unavailable. I tried signing in and also viewing it from pc, laptop, tablet. No go. Any idea what i might be doing wrong?
Weird. It's set on public, and is working from my phone and laptop, so I have no idea. I reloaded it on there so maybe it will work now.

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:08 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Chicagoed wrote:
Weird. It's set on public, and is working from my phone and laptop, so I have no idea. I reloaded it on there so maybe it will work now.
Just saw the video, not sure why it wasn't loading for me before, but works now. Wow, really appreciate you putting that together. The video itself is really well done. The rigging instructions were exactly what I was looking for. I will be trying that same setup. Again, thanks for sharing!