How to fish a slow sinking Got 'Em Coach bluegill?

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
mcfishing620
Angler
Angler

How to fish a slow sinking Got 'Em Coach bluegill?

Post by mcfishing620 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:21 pm

So I am new to swimbaits, but wanna try them for big bass. I bought a BD Shad the other day and it works really good at the speed and depth I want, but I also have a Got 'Em Coach bluegill that's a slow sinking, and I can't fish that thing for the life of me. It will hardly sink at all, and soon as I start reeling it goes straight to the surface. I'm a crankbait guy, so I'm not good with reeling like a grandma, and I don't fish on the surface generally either. I need it down 2-5 feet or so. Would adding adhesive lead weights work? Any ideas?
My go to...
Shimano Antares 12 / 7' St Croix Legend Tournament Bass / Xcalibur XKR50 chrome/black

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: How to fish a slow sinking Got 'Em Coach bluegill?

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:09 am

Here's a link to the TT review:
http://www.tackletour.com/previewgotemcoachpg2.html
It comes in floating and slow sink.
Basically, fish it slow enough to keep it from rising. Thinner fluorocarbon line will help, but I wouldn't fish it on less than 12lb in open water, and 17b around cover.

mcfishing620
Angler
Angler

Post by mcfishing620 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:26 am

Article doesn't really answer all my questions though...
My go to...
Shimano Antares 12 / 7' St Croix Legend Tournament Bass / Xcalibur XKR50 chrome/black

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:36 am

mcfishing620 wrote:Article doesn't really answer all my questions though...

You can try wrapping some lead wire around the shank of the belly treble to add more weight and increase the rate of fall. I find it's more effective than suspend dots, because you can add more weight.
I've also found that having the bait fall a little nose down is okay, because it swims more level on the retrieve.

mcfishing620
Angler
Angler

Post by mcfishing620 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:49 pm

mark poulson wrote:
mcfishing620 wrote:Article doesn't really answer all my questions though...

You can try wrapping some lead wire around the shank of the belly treble to add more weight and increase the rate of fall. I find it's more effective than suspend dots, because you can add more weight.
I've also found that having the bait fall a little nose down is okay, because it swims more level on the retrieve.
Not sure where to find lead wire. Would suspen-dots work, or do they take away from the action at all?
My go to...

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Bass Pro sells lead wire:

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/round-lead-wire-spools

If you Google lead wire, you'll find other places.
For me, suspend dots are too light to achieve a faster sink rate on a large swim bait. I can't put enough on.

mcfishing620
Angler
Angler

Post by mcfishing620 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:14 pm

mark poulson wrote:Bass Pro sells lead wire:

For me, suspend dots are too light to achieve a faster sink rate on a large swim bait. I can't put enough on.
Can you post a picture of how you use the wire? I'm a complete noob to swimbaits, but if I can get them in the range I run my lipless cranks at, I think they could really do some damage.
My go to...

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:21 pm

mcfishing620 wrote:
mark poulson wrote:Bass Pro sells lead wire:

Can you post a picture of how you use the wire? I'm a complete noob to swimbaits, but if I can get them in the range I run my lipless cranks at, I think they could really do some damage.
Take some lead wire, measure it so you'll know how much weight you're adding, pass a tag end through the eye of the rear treble and bend it down the hook shaft. Then begin to wrap the wire around the hook shaft, first down the shaft toward the hooks, and then back up toward the eye.
Repeat until you get the lure to sink as fast as you want it to, take the wire off and weigh it, and you'll know how much you need to add to get the effect you want.
When I get the right amount of wire on the belly treble, I coat the wire with gap filling ZAP super glue, hit it with accelerant, and it's ready to fish.