Low profile swimbait reel suggestions?

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
AndZ
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Low profile swimbait reel suggestions?

Post by AndZ » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:10 pm

I don't like round profile reels, never owned anything after selling my Morrum AE74 ZPI... I am building a rod for fishing with 3 to 6.5 oz baits such as the DRT Klash, the Slide Swimmer 175 and 250.

I narrowed the search down to Daiwa Lexa 300HL and, maybe, a JDM Tatula HD Custom 150-HL. Lexa gets around 100 m of 20 lbs. while Tatula can hold 100 m of 25 lbs. I'm planning to use 25 lbs. lines mostly so the Tatula HD looks to have the perfect line capacity... but I don't know how it will stand the abuse of throwing 6.5 oz lures on it. The mfg claims the gears are bigger than regular tatula and the spool diameter is 36 mm (regular tatula has 34 mm) for better line cap.

I'm looking to build the lightest swimbait rod possible and I would prefer a reel as light as possible for it, given the application - big baits. What are your thoughts? Tatula is 230 grams vs. Lexa with 300 grams. As far as gear and overall durability, I think Lexa is the winner. The other contender is the Curado 300E... but I prefer magnetic brakes, much more easier to adjust.

I noticed the Lexa HD with stainless steel gearing, that would be a massive upgrade over the brass gears, but it only comes in 8.1:1 gear ratio. I am looking for something more all-around in the 6.ish:1.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Low profile swimbait reel suggestions?

Post by toddmc » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:28 am

I have the Lexa 300H and it is the best value in my opinion. I added knob bearings and a CCC bearing. This is all of the upgrades needed. It does well with the bigger stuff in the 5-10 oz. range. It holds more than enough 25 lb. mono.
I don't have the Tatula HD, but my friends that do really like it for midsize (6 inch) baits. I wouldn't throw stuff over 4 oz. with it because the rod required to throw those baits will balance much better with the Lexa in my opinion. If you do go with the Tatula HD. let us know what rod you put it on and how it works for the heavier baits.

Jdmbiggie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jdmbiggie » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:11 pm

im was once in the smae boat once but i narrowed down my research to two main lowprofile small to med size swimbaits. ill be using a zillion hlc on one and a z2020. but its mainly on personal perference so curado, lexa and tatula are all great reels also

AndZ
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by AndZ » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:48 pm

I would like a lighter reel such as Tatula but I don't know if it will handle 8 to 10" lures ok. So I guess the Lexa 300 it is. What's a CCC bearing?

I wish I could find it at a more discounted price because shipping from the U.S. to Europe is almost invariably 38-40 dollars.

I will try to keep the custom rod within 7 oz. total finished weight, that's why I would like a lighter reel as well. I'll let you know how it all goes...

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:21 pm

In my opinion the Lexa is the way to go. If for no other reason than because it's been out and having been used for this exact application for several years now with unanimously high praise (from what I can tell). I got the Lexa 300 when it first came out and it is my Deps 250 reel. No issues. I don't know if you are going to be building a rod w a longer handle but it's the norm to tuck that handle under your arm on the retrieve. Because of this, I personally don't feel like weight and especially balance matters as much. With a 6.5 oz lure hanging down on the cast, how balanced is that gonna feel? Lol. I know it's personal preference and light is always good but I think when throwing big heavy baits, the things we are accustomed to caring about aren't quite as critical.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:48 am

AndZ wrote:I would like a lighter reel such as Tatula but I don't know if it will handle 8 to 10" lures ok. So I guess the Lexa 300 it is. What's a CCC bearing?

I wish I could find it at a more discounted price because shipping from the U.S. to Europe is almost invariably 38-40 dollars.

I will try to keep the custom rod within 7 oz. total finished weight, that's why I would like a lighter reel as well. I'll let you know how it all goes...
CCC=cast control cap
The bushing under the cast control cap can be replaced with a bearing. Some people say this isn't very necessary, but I think it makes a difference.

AndZ
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by AndZ » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:40 am

Thanks for the heads up. I will upgrade it just like you say... My Tatulas have ceramic airs in them and they can literally put out almost half a spool with a 1 oz. topwater.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:07 am

I've been looking for a reel like this too- I've been eyeing up the Lews BB2 for its extra line capacity. Anyone have any experience with it for these applications?

AndZ
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by AndZ » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:05 pm

Okuma Komodo and Quantum Exo also look OK as far as line capacity is concerned. Although the Komodo has stainles steel gears, which I think might be an advantage in the long term. The BB2 is a slipper but I don't know much about durability.

I was split between 7.1:1 and 6.3:1 gear ratios eventually I chose the slower one for the Lexa 300. I am still not convinced that this is the reel for the rod but it will have to do for now. Today I'll buy it.

Ong Jim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ong Jim » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:40 am

I wouldn't recommend the Tatula HD for the lures you plan on throwing. It just isn't made for it. However, it is great for top waters, Hudd 168 and Deps 175.

I have never used a Lexa but heard good things about it. That may be a better route.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:51 am

If the Z2020 came in 5:1 that would be the ultimate light side setup for big baits. I've thrown the 9" 5oz Bull Shad with it without issue. Just not going to be fun with big resistance baits but might be fun with Depps since you're not using the reel to pull the bait.

SwimbaitsatLMV
Angler
Angler

Post by SwimbaitsatLMV » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:55 am

Lol you must not fish a glide bait much.

Just buy a curado 300. It will alleviate all issues and doesn't need to be upgraded just to perform normally. Plus it's a shimano.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:48 pm

This is one of the times where I would actually choose a Shimano, over a Daiwa.

The Curado is almost dang near bullet proof, requires no upgrades, and palms a little better. imo

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:39 pm

SwimbaitsatLMV wrote:Lol you must not fish a glide bait much.

Just buy a curado 300. It will alleviate all issues and doesn't need to be upgraded just to perform normally. Plus it's a shimano.
Don't think it will work the 175?

SwimbaitsatLMV
Angler
Angler

Post by SwimbaitsatLMV » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:34 am

A curado 200 can work a 175, but he said he wanted to fish a 250.