Rod specs for 6-8" paddle tails

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rod specs for 6-8" paddle tails

Post by jiggerjake » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:16 am

I'm thinking about picking up a few of the weedless Rising Son swimsuits when they are released.They weigh around 2oz.What power,action and length do you prefer for these types of SB.? Also 3:16 (Mikey) was recommending 20 flouro for throwing these.Does that sound about right?

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rod specs for 6-8" paddle tails

Post by Toadslayer72 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:01 am

I have an older Daiwa Heartland rod that the more I use it, the more I LOVE it. Model # is HL-SS791XHRB. It's actually a Salmon & Steelhead rod. Here are the specs: 7'-9" XH rated for 1-8 oz. and 12-30 lb. line. Listed specs aside, it's the only rod I have that I would throw something in that weight class and the way I use it, 3 oz. is about the max. I used it mostly for Huddleston 68s and Mattlures Gills (hard and soft). I'd say a rod between 7'-9" and 8' but I'm sure you could get away w something 7'-6" depending on your preference. I like the longer rods for the casting leverage, nothing like feeling a rod load up properly as you pivot down on a long handle to catapult a big bait out there. Line? Samurai w a CXX leader for me w a few exceptions in the big swinging trebled category of baits. Plenty of people use fluoro too though.

Are you just playing around w the Rising Sons or do want to mess w other baits too?

jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jiggerjake » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:24 am

Thanks for the response.For now like you said...just playing with the Rising Sons.(placed an order for the new weedless version)
I've been waiting on my LDC for 9 months now and hope it won't be much longer.That rod is a MH custom with a slower taper as I would prefer to throw Slammers,rats and other treble hook topwaters.
I don't really want to spend a ton for this technique and want to keep it in the 7'3--7'6' range for accurate skipping under overhangs.
The Rising Sons weigh about 2oz.

I had a Dobyns 795mlsb a while back along with a bunch of 68 Huds. I sold everything off.Now wishing I had given it more time :doh:

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:07 pm

Ok cool, so you have some working knowledge surrounding this style of fishing. The LDCs are supposed to be awesome so I'm sure you'll like that rod so much that you'll probably want another. I guess you can always go w a proven rod like the Okuma Guide Select. I bet the 7'-6" Med Hvy would handle a 2 oz bait quite nicely and there is used one on Ebay right now. If not, $135 for a brand new one still isn't that bad.

Hey if you're in Allentown, that Cabelas is a stone's throw away on 78....go scrounge around the bargain cave, you might find a gem :lol:

jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jiggerjake » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:33 pm

Thanks for the tip on the Okuma.I'll check that out.As for Cabelas.....yeah theres some real gems there :lol:

Was there last week.The whole store is on close-out sale.I've heard rumors they are done at that location.
I was over on SU site and someone mentioned the Rising Son weedless are sold out already.3:16 site confirms this.Glad I grabbed them when I did.
Not sure I want to wait another year for a LDC.Even a production model.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:59 pm

All that 3:16 stuff sells out immediately, he has created a cult like following. I'm personally only interested in that big ass frog bait he sells, the No Bull.

I've been tempted a couple of times to pull the trigger on an LDC but that wait time is mostly what kept me from doing it. I'd really like to get one or two different models in hand to see what's up w them. Nothing but rave reviews for the most part going back on a few yrs now.

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:35 am

The LDC's are a decent rod, went through 5 :lol:
If you can stand the wait times, they are a decent option. I couldn't, so went the second hand route with the 4 of 5 I had. From what I've read, they're built on Phenix blanks to his specifications.
I fish the small rising sons on most outings and have done well with a 1-5 oz rated rod. Used a custom LDC H for that. XH will suffice, but is a lot of rod for the bait.

FishEastCarolina
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishEastCarolina » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:25 am

You could use any flipping stick and lob it truthfully if you wanted to save some money
new day the same way