Megabass Magdraft?

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Megabass Magdraft?

Post by jmb27 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:12 am

Anyone spent time on the water with the Magdraft? I have a 5 and a 6" model on the way and was curious if anyone has a review.

spoon2610
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass Magdraft?

Post by spoon2610 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:31 pm

Check out Oliver Ngy fb he has it going on.

Derek777
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Derek777 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:05 am

in cold water (40-46) the action seems to be muted, like the plastic has stiffened up. a few times when slow slow rolling it i could see the tail didnt even move. ill let you know more when the water is warmer.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:19 am

Derek777 wrote:in cold water (40-46) the action seems to be muted, like the plastic has stiffened up. a few times when slow slow rolling it i could see the tail didnt even move. ill let you know more when the water is warmer.
I also noticed this but it could be a good thing. Fish aren't moving very much, but the tail still has a super subtle wiggle to it at ultra slow speed, while other boottails move too much. It's nice to own the 6 oz one if you want a big bait, but I will stick with 316s and Ospreys for the other sizes....

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:49 am

I've got two of the larger models. They don't track straight 100% of the time. The hook comes unseated, often. The action when you find the right speed, is real nice. I got a couple 4+ pound fish on it, in mid-February. Overall, i think they are nice... just need to work around the kinks.

pharmboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by pharmboy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:21 am

I think Im going have to boil the tails to soften; the action is too muted for my liking. The magslowl coming out looks like the better bait to me (i have 6in version)

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:04 am

I had 5" Magdraft and didn't have any luck.
Got a 7" Magslowl two weeks ago, fished with it couple times and really like the action.

emjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by emjay » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:54 am

The Magdraft cannot slow roll. There is a certain speed as mentioned that you have to reel to get that tail to kick. Lets just say at the speed it needs to be reeled to get that action that you expect from a paddle tail and the sink rate of the bait...well they dont really go hand in hand. The lure will be near the surface of the water by the time you know it.

The Magslowl however is better designed for what most would expect from a paddle tail. Just wish the line tie was closer to the bottom of the mouth instead of above the mouth which causes the bait to swim with the head down and tail up action.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:08 pm

The 5" Magdraft is really finicky like others mentioned. It's good only at a certain retrieve speed. The 6" is much better, but it's not good at a faster retrieve.

Is the Magslowl better at slow AND faster speeds?

BassFisher83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFisher83 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:07 pm

My knowledge/experience on swimbaits other than Keitech and the like are about a 2/10. I bought 4 of the these 3 5" Magslow and 1 6" Magdraft. Now I have but a few hours on the water with them but I agree with whomever said they don't track well.

After only about 4 fish it started pullin right (again, very new to swimbaits), but I tried adjusting the line tie like in a crankbait and after a few adjustments didn't see much improvement and tied something else on and haven't tied it back on since.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:02 am

I just got a 5" Magdraft and have throw it a few times, I thought it had decent action at a slow retrieve. It would start rolling if I retrieve it too fast. Makes me wonder how slow you have to fish the Magslow to get the right action. Anyway, no fish as of yet, just a couple of nips on the Magdraft, no committed takers. Water temps I have been fishing it in are low 70's. I am certainly going to give it a few more chances to catch fish.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:31 am

The magdraft is a complete waste of money. It rises way to fast. Wish I can get my money back I had high hopes for this little swimbait.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS