Top hook versus bottom hook on soft swimbaits: which is best

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Backlash Picker
Angler
Angler

Top hook versus bottom hook on soft swimbaits: which is best

Post by Backlash Picker » Thu May 28, 2015 12:27 pm

Hello,

I'm interested in getting a few 6 inch or 7 inch soft swimbaits. I'm looking at 3:16 Rising Son baits, or something similar. What are the advantages of a top hook versus bottom hook on this sort of bait.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Top hook versus bottom hook on soft swimbaits: which is

Post by Farnorth » Thu May 28, 2015 10:54 pm

If you are looking at the Rising sons you need to know that the top hook models sink while the bottom hook ones float and run just under the surface. They are both good baits. There are people who say that bottom hook baits have a better hook up ratio but I think with a treble hook on top it's too close to call.

Think about how you want to use the bait and what part at the water column you want to target and buy based on that. I caught my best fish last year on a 6" top hook rising son thrown back after a big fish followed in a crankbait.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Fri May 29, 2015 11:44 am

Yeah I think it depends mostly on where in the column you are going to fish, like Farnorth said. As you can imagine, it could be an issue trying to drag a bait on or close to the bottom with a belly hook. A Hudd 68 with the jig hook can be swam anywhere in the column and even fished on bottom like a jig. A single exposed jig hook bait like that actually swims through some mild to moderate cover too without getting hung. A belly hooked bait isn't quite as versatile. Hook up ratio hasn't been an issue for me though either way. If a fish commits and initiates the real deal vacuum, the whole bait will be in it's mouth.

Seb2fn
Angler
Angler

Post by Seb2fn » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:22 am

top hook goes much deeper and is the one I use more, you can get her down to 8 feet easy and much much lower if you let it sink.

bassindon69
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bassindon69 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:53 am

Bottom hooks on soft baits can cause bleeding... even on a STE video with those bottom stingers he catches a nice one and at the end says... its bleeding.. NOT good. lets try to catch and keep alive . top hooks are best. only if you really care for your catch. hard baits most times don't get choked down deep so its not a big an issue. It shouldn't be about working a bait right, it should be taking care of the big girl.

bigbaitfishing
Angler
Angler

Post by bigbaitfishing » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:45 am

bassindon69 wrote:Bottom hooks on soft baits can cause bleeding... even on a STE video with those bottom stingers he catches a nice one and at the end says... its bleeding.. NOT good. lets try to catch and keep alive . top hooks are best. only if you really care for your catch. hard baits most times don't get choked down deep so its not a big an issue. It shouldn't be about working a bait right, it should be taking care of the big girl.
X2 =D> =D> =D>