Rod kength and action for top water rats

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rod kength and action for top water rats

Post by jiggerjake » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:42 am

Just placed an order for a 6" wooden top water rat. I was considering a Mod/fast action rod due to the treble hooks.Also I may be doing a custom as most of the SB rods I've seen are 7'9"-8'.Throwing these baits to specific areas/targets I feel I could be more accurate with a 7'4"-7'6" rod. Does this sound reasonable or do I need the extra length.I do plan on having a longer handle.
I'm currently looking at Phenix blanks.The 7' 11" MH mod/fast which I would have cut to desired length.This is the "Ultra Swimbait Classic"blank.I did notice its 11/4oz heavier than the "Ultra Swimbait" fast action.

Note-I don't plan on throwing any other type of SB with this.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Rod kength and action for top water rats

Post by toddmc » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:18 am

The shorter rods are much better for casting in close quarters, but it's the handle that really matters, especially if you aren't real tall. Make sure that the handle is short enough to whip around and cast in close quarters without getting in the way. I've got a couple of 7'3' heavy action rods with 10 1/4 inch handles that I use for these types of applications. I throw a lot of the heavier bluegill baits and smaller rats with these. 7'3" seems a bit long with a spinnerbait in close quarters, but it is just right when your baits are 1-3 ounces. I'd go longer if you are fishing open water.

jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jiggerjake » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:07 am

Thanks,seems like I have to go custom to get the right power and action at the length I want as well as handle length.I was thinking I would probably want a 7'2" to 7'4" with a 10-12" handle mod/fast 1-4oz range.

bigbaitfishing
Angler
Angler

Post by bigbaitfishing » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:52 pm

i use my 7'10'' heavy powered casting rod for my rats which weigh 2.5 oz. , it has a fast action

BTW - rod is a Rainshadow XMB 944.5 custom, micro guided & spiral wrapped