Hudd gill

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Hudd gill

Post by Montanaro » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:35 am

No talk about this? I ordered two last week! Light gill rof5 and dark gill rof12. About 4 inches and 1.7oz.

They also have a dark and light crappie. Anyone else preorder? Will be killer throughout spring.

Ong Jim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Hudd gill

Post by Ong Jim » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:01 pm

I have seen it on other swimbait forums and it looks nice. The reason it is not mentioned here is because most folks on here aren't big on swimbaits fishing and more into finesse fishing.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:34 pm

I've got my 2 on the way also. They look really good. This should probably be moved to the Swimbait Fishing sub-forum.

Mothra
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothra » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:40 am

Reminds me of the mattlures u2

nickp
Angler
Angler

Post by nickp » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:39 am

The problem with the weedless huds and huds in general is a big lost fish ratio. Just the nature of the beast, hence why mike long and the big swimbait guys yank those fish in as fast as possible. Go fish shallow immediate post spawn with a swimbait and you'll be shocked at how many bites and follows you get just to lose half of them.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:40 am

Hopefully the boot tail will have a decent kick. Let us know.

lund40
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lund40 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:14 pm

I should have preordered now i will have to wait for the nrxt batch

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:29 am

nickp wrote:The problem with the weedless huds and huds in general is a big lost fish ratio. Just the nature of the beast, hence why mike long and the big swimbait guys yank those fish in as fast as possible. Go fish shallow immediate post spawn with a swimbait and you'll be shocked at how many bites and follows you get just to lose half of them.
I know this to be a problem with the weedless but it is in no way my experience with the 8" rigged Butch's way. Those two hooks get pinned to the roof of the mouth and stay pinned.....for me. I have heard of atrocious ratios with the weedless however. That said, I've got two gills heading my way.

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:37 am

Got my two in the mail! They look like great bite sized gills and should catch numbers and size. Very little difference in light and dark gill. Could probably be a good tournament lure depending on hookup ratio.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:22 am

Oh yeah, forgot about this thread, I got mine last Thursday. Here is a review I just put up on YT. Video includes brief footage of the ROF 5 and ROF 12 in the water swimming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvKUVsmHSGc

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:03 am

Toadslayer72 wrote:Oh yeah, forgot about this thread, I got mine last Thursday. Here is a review I just put up on YT. Video includes brief footage of the ROF 5 and ROF 12 in the water swimming.

One of my team tournament buddies was throwing the ROF 5 this past weekend while fishing with me in one of the weedy golf course ponds located near me. He complained that the bait only likes slow speeds as your video shows. He also missed a lot of fish because of it being weedless. I'm sure some of the fish that he missed were small, but you can't expect a really good hookup ratio unless you get a hook somewhere near the tail. It probably isn't too difficult to rig a treble trap hook with braid somewhere near the tail. Hopefully the bait will still run the same. There are probably some guys already doing this. I'll take my buddy to a deeper/less weedy lake next time and I'll get him to bring the ROF12. I'll rig a trap hook on it to see if it does well. I'll let you know how it goes if it happens in the near future. I think this bait will be a great performer in all applications if you can get the trap hook right.

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:14 am

My rof 12 swims lopsided but rof5 swims perfect. The rof5 can be reeled pretty quickly with rod tip down but that's not how this is meant to be fished.

With rof5 if you bring it to surface you can lay it on its side like it's dying, then kill it and dead stick on bottom.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:42 pm

toddmc wrote:
Toadslayer72 wrote:Oh yeah, forgot about this thread, I got mine last Thursday. Here is a review I just put up on YT. Video includes brief footage of the ROF 5 and ROF 12 in the water swimming.

One of my team tournament buddies was throwing the ROF 5 this past weekend while fishing with me in one of the weedy golf course ponds located near me. He complained that the bait only likes slow speeds as your video shows. He also missed a lot of fish because of it being weedless. I'm sure some of the fish that he missed were small, but you can't expect a really good hookup ratio unless you get a hook somewhere near the tail. It probably isn't too difficult to rig a treble trap hook with braid somewhere near the tail. Hopefully the bait will still run the same. There are probably some guys already doing this. I'll take my buddy to a deeper/less weedy lake next time and I'll get him to bring the ROF12. I'll rig a trap hook on it to see if it does well. I'll let you know how it goes if it happens in the near future. I think this bait will be a great performer in all applications if you can get the trap hook right.
Thanks for the feedback.

I definitely thought about rigging a trap hook and I probably will. I personally don't feel the need by the tail so much plus like you said, I think the closer you get to the tail with this bait, the greater the chances of throwing the action off. As far as the Rof 5 running funky, I thought about it some more and I just think there is no getting around that it's meant to be fished super slow. You know guys love dragging those Rof 5 trout on the bottom. It's almost as if the bait forces you to fish it this way. I think it looks great though deflecting off of cover and doing that tilt, flashing its sides. I think guys will be complaining about the 5 rolling and "not running right" but I think this is 100% intentional in it's design. I think both the 5 and 12 are gonna be great on the bottom. The 5 for that slow, painstaking retrieve w many pauses in between and the 12 fished more like a jig that can be dragged but also be worked more aggressively.

I'm gonna play around w a trap hook though for sure. I'm too paranoid that I'll hook a giant because the bait looks so damn good. I seriously can't deal w even the slightest doubt about something like "I hope she stays pinned". I'm only concerned w trophy class fish really and I just HATE the idea of any stupid little things messing up those brief moments. Every trip out is w the intent of catching the fish of a lifetime. I can't have some BS like "I wonder if that weedless design is gonna screw me here" when I'm trying to land quality fish, lol.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:01 pm

Ok so I played around w the bluegill and I wasn't able to come up with any satisfactory trap hook rigging. I even went so far as cutting the bait open and running a small piece of tubing to make a line thru type which I think would work just fine if the stock hook was cut off. Yeah I wasn't ready to do that just yet but I won't rule it out completely. My biggest issue is that there is a limited amount of real estate to work with before you get to the dorsal fin. Again, the stock hook gets in the way for anything I wanted to do. So I think I may just leave it be for now.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:28 am

Toadslayer72 wrote:Ok so I played around w the bluegill and I wasn't able to come up with any satisfactory trap hook rigging. I even went so far as cutting the bait open and running a small piece of tubing to make a line thru type which I think would work just fine if the stock hook was cut off. Yeah I wasn't ready to do that just yet but I won't rule it out completely. My biggest issue is that there is a limited amount of real estate to work with before you get to the dorsal fin. Again, the stock hook gets in the way for anything I wanted to do. So I think I may just leave it be for now.
Did you try a piece of braid from the line tie across the top of the bait? This is what I do for the Hudd trout. I would run it as far back as possible without affecting the action of the tail. Use pins to secure the braid. The treble or double hook will break free on the hookset and keep from hurting your bait.