Losing fish on Huddleston deluxe weedless shad.

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Losing fish on Huddleston deluxe weedless shad.

Post by Bassfan22 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:34 am

I have a problem loosing fish on the retrieve with this lure. I lost a few big fish this year a couple when I was about to grab them. Which rod power or action and line type do you recommend for this lure? I use fluorocarbon. Thanks

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Losing fish on Huddleston deluxe weedless shad.

Post by toddmc » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:18 am

Try waiting longer to set the hook and add Hot Sauce(gel) or a heavy oil based attractant to the hookslot and on the outside of the bait to help it slide better in the fishes mouth and through the weeds.

Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassfan22 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:47 am

I'll try it with an extra fast rod and braid. Maybe is too small of a swimbait for bigger fish or maybe the hook sucks. Every time I grab the bass the lure falls out of their mouth. I use megastrike for taste it works.

Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cagey » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:54 am

Like you, I have lost some big ones on weedless and even non-weedless single hook swimbaits. Really irksome.

My first change was going to a stiffer rod tip. When I tried to set the hook- and I use braid- the only thing I felt that sort of gave way in the hook set was the rod tip being too flexible. I now use a 7' or a 7'3" MH extra fast rod.

The second change was in hooks...

I know your title here says weedless, but even those can be modified. If you can keep it out of the weeds and fish in open water which is where I use them a lot, I add an additional treble hook to the lure. More hooks means a better chance of one of them hitting home. One hook is what? A 50-50 chance? I like to better my odds against any fish.

I still fish weedless a lot too, but I keep a modified open water swimbait or two at the ready.

I don't use Fluorocarbon so I can't say anything about that, but the other recommendations already given above, plus maybe some hook modification, and a stiffer rod tip will help tilt the odds in your favor. I am not so sure switching to braid would really move the odds more in your favor all that much, not as much as some of the other suggestions would. If you like fluorocarbon keep using it, I don't see why you would have give that up to increase your hook set percentage if the other suggestions can turn it around for you.

I found this image on line so this is not what I fish with, but I noticed they have modified it with an added treble hook and I linked this image in here as just sort of an idea for how it can be done as there are more than one way to modify a lure, skin a cat, and catch that big one that got away last time...

I just found an interesting blog site called southernswimbait that gets into modifications of the lures and has video on the site too. It does not look like the site has been updated in 2 years, but it is still full of good information. http://southernswimbait.wordpress.com/

Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassfan22 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:08 pm

I'm switching to a extra fast rod and your probably right ill stick with flouro for now. I checked the site lots of cool videos and info thanks for your help. I been thinking different ways to rig this lure. I'm going to try adding a treble.

Seb2fn
Angler
Angler

Post by Seb2fn » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:58 am

I've caught dozens on both the weedless and top hook, I'm going to say it's your set up. I use a 8 foot low down custom heavy which is a fast taper Rod. If you switch to braid you should Prob increase your hook penetration if your rod is lacking the proper taper . Good luck

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:41 am

Not trying to be an azz, but why buy a weedless bait to add exposed hooks to it. I throw weedless Hudd's into stuff I'd never think to throw an exposed hook bait. If I'm out on the edges I will always throw an exposed hook bait. Brian.

Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassfan22 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:46 pm

Seb2fn wrote:I've caught dozens on both the weedless and top hook, I'm going to say it's your set up. I use a 8 foot low down custom heavy which is a fast taper Rod. If you switch to braid you should Prob increase your hook penetration if your rod is lacking the proper taper . Good luck
I have never fish with braid. It won't hurt to try. I'm going to use a fast heavy rod.
a1712 wrote:Not trying to be an azz, but why buy a weedless bait to add exposed hooks to it. I throw weedless Hudd's into stuff I'd never think to throw an exposed hook bait. If I'm out on the edges I will always throw an exposed hook bait. Brian.
They only sell it weedless unfortunately. T hook on this bait is poor quality in my opinion. I do fish it weedless in cover of course.