Anybody ever added weight to an unweighted swimbait hook?

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Anybody ever added weight to an unweighted swimbait hook?

Post by SouthArkFishin » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:04 pm

I screwed up when I ordered and got the unweighted hooks. I know I can always return em, but if there's a way to add a bit of weight that will make it function properly I'm all for it. Going out tomorrow and I've only got one weighted hook left in that size and I'd like to have a spare. The hook in question is the Owner Beast 10/0 swimbait hook paired up with a Fringe Tackle 7" bait. The weighted version clocks in at 1/2oz. I'm new to throwing swimbaits, but I know I need the weight to keep the bait from rolling. What I don't know is if I can add a weight that will actually accomplish that and not throw the whole rig outta whack. I'm sure a lot of y'all on here have a ton of experience with swimbaits and how they behave. Any fixes, ideas, or thoughts in general would be appreciated.

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Anybody ever added weight to an unweighted swimbait hook

Post by a1712 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:00 am

You can wrap the hook belly with lead wire, I've never done it, but I've seen it done. No idea where they get the lead wire though. Brian.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:48 am

a1712 wrote:You can wrap the hook belly with lead wire, I've never done it, but I've seen it done. No idea where they get the lead wire though. Brian.
Thanks for idea. Not sure I can find the wire by in the morning, but definitely gonna file that one away.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:14 am

I have seen people pinch a split shot onto them. Not sure if they were the regular kind or the ones with the rubber that runs through the middle. I imagine with the regular kind you would need to pry them wider first to get them around a 10/0.

jcat
Angler
Angler

Post by jcat » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:40 am

Cut a sinker lengthwise with a hacksaw and crimp it on like a big split shot.

socal cranker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by socal cranker » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:46 am

The cheap way is to use the rubber core egg sinkers and pull the rubber core out then crimp on the hook shank.

They also make wts with the same idea as the egg sinker mentioned above with teeth on both sides that is made to be crimped around a hook.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:25 am

I always carry suspend strips (lead tape) for any hook or bait that I want to add a little weight to. The rubber core sinkers also work well on spinnerbait hook shanks to make them deep runners. The tungsten putty works well on wacky rig hooks and other applications, but it is expensive.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Thanks for the tips. I did think about the rubber core egg sinker, but I wasn't sure if it would work on such a big hook. I didn't know about the weight with the teeth and suspend strips never occurred to me. I'll hafta buy a few of each and play around with em cos I think I'm gonna keep the unweighted hooks and just order some more of the right ones.