Looking for recommendations on a swimbait rod 2+ oz

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Looking for recommendations on a swimbait rod 2+ oz

Post by GARRIGA » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:07 am

If there was an 807ML then that would be my dedicated Hudd 8 rod with the stock jig hook.

spooledup
Angler
Angler

Post by spooledup » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:48 am

Good stuff guys. How does the 806ML and 867 compare against each other? I am really second guessing if I should look for an 806ML over the 795ML. I probably would be throwing stuff starting at 2 oz and just hate when I buy a rod and it has poor casting distance with the lower end of their weight rating. I was trying to justify buying this rod by being able to throw heavier 3/4 + swimjig heads also but I got other rods that can handle that. I just need a big stick for big baits I think. I do want it to be able to bomb out a 2 oz lure though. Good point about tucking a longer rod under the arm and not feeling the weight. My glass crankbait rod is just like that. Its not light but it does not fish heavy. I hear the 795ml measures 13.5 inches from reel seat back. Tacklewarehouse has weird measurements of them from the top grip I think. You guys would consider that on the shorter end of what I want right?

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:58 am

I think the 806 is better at throwing a 2oz but the 867 can fling a Hudd 8 better and most eventually end up throwing that. If staying around 2-4oz then 806ML would be my choice. Honestly, the first time you see a nice size girl run down a Hudd 8 it's hard going down again. First cast I had a 3-4# follow right to my feet and just sat there eyeing the Hudd as it sat motionless. As if she was expecting it to just swim away and I don't have trout in my part of the country. I don't get the same reactions with the 68. They either eat it or don't show themselves. The big baits also act as a search lure exposing where the big girls hunt. You can then toss something smaller.

spooledup
Angler
Angler

Post by spooledup » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:15 am

That is good to know. I cant imagine there is very many bass over 6lbs in my area so it messes with me and big baits. But I have caught a 2 lbish largemouth with a catfish so big in its gullet that its tail was sticking out of its mouth. I have run ins with big Muskie and Pike that I know will eat the biggest stuff. I feel more lost now but headed in the right direction ha ha. Another question is how effective are big swimbaits in water with poor clarity like a foot?

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:54 am

No actual experience with big baits and cloudy water but don't big blades work good in low visibility because of the vibration trail? Big baits and specially big slow throbbing tails should perform the same. Too bad Hudds don't come in chartreuse. :)

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:56 pm

In general big baits that move a lot of water are easier for a predator to track.
I think you need to buy a few baits and start fishing :lol:
BBZ jr, 9" slammer, lunker punker, I've heard good things about the savage 3d trout thing, also eyeball some different soft baits from other companies.

spooledup
Angler
Angler

Post by spooledup » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:01 pm

I am trying to build up some tackle to be ready for springtime when I know Ill be Muskie fishing and looking for the big bass. I am planning on getting some of the swim baits you have been recommending to me Kurtis. Also I found a used 806mlsb and am talking with the guy. I am waiting to hear back if its a gen 1 or 2. How do the 2 generations compare?

spooledup
Angler
Angler

Post by spooledup » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:13 pm

Well I decided that I am now looking for a 806MLSB rather than the 795. I appreciate the responses.

spooledup
Angler
Angler

Post by spooledup » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:36 pm

I wonder what company will run the best black Friday deal this year. I am going to buy a new 806mlsb from Tacklewharehouse unless someone else runs a better special. Ill probably try and pick up some swimbaits as well.

Seb2fn
Angler
Angler

Post by Seb2fn » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:01 am

Low down custom rods are by far the best choice if you have time to wait and don't mind spending some money. If not the dobyns series are proven and the guide select xh is a great choice that can throw a 68 to a deps 250.

lund40
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lund40 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:06 pm

Daiwa zillion swimbait rod