Spro BBZ-1 Line...???

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
OG_ZILLION
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Spro BBZ-1 Line...???

Post by OG_ZILLION » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:07 am

I am planning to get a couple SPRO BBZ-1's...BUT...I am a beginner swimbaiter and I don't know which variant I should buy/fish first...Floater, Slow Sink or Fast Sink...??? 6" or 8"...???

Mainly fishing deep water reservoirs for stripers and LMB from the shore.

The main combo I will be using to throw the SPRO BBZ-1 is a Okuma Komodo 364L and Phenix M1 Heavy Swimbait with 70lb Daiwa Samurai Braid and 8-10' of mono leader.

Because I am a beginner...I was thinking the floater would be the best choice. But since I will be fishing Deep water reservoirs...I also thought about getting the fast sink too as a good choice also.

Help..?!?! Thanks.

PEACE,
OG_ZILLION

rbredefe
Angler
Angler

Re: Spro BBZ-1 Line...???

Post by rbredefe » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:16 am

I agree with you on getting the floater first. You can make it a slow sinker if you have to. However, if you are fishing from the bank making long casts parallel to the bank with a slow retrieve at dawn or dusk is going to be a high percentage technique for you to develop confidence. I would also recommend the 6 inch plastic lunker punker. It is not an expensive bait, but it sure gets bit.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:24 am

You have to face the fact that you are going to lose some of the sinking models. Many shore fisherman can't afford this. I often fish during the week on our SoCal reservoirs when the young guys fish from shore after the trout stockings with the big baits. On numerous occasions, they have called me over in my boat to free a valuable custom sinking swimbait that is hung up. Some have even begged and offered rewards. Recently, I rescued a custom painted swimbait that was stuck to a black garbage bag in the marina rocks at Lake Perris. The kid was grateful, but it was comical to hear him act like the custom paint job didn't make a difference. You can avoid these issues by throwing the floating BBZ-1 and cheaper sinking baits.

Seb2fn
Angler
Angler

Post by Seb2fn » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:27 am

pline Cxx crystal clear in 20 lb test... 25 lb for baits over 6 oz.. and 30 if you ever throw a mother =p

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:11 pm

I fish exclusively from shore opin south Florida and have some deep water lakes that drop probably past 30 feet. For those I fish the slow sink near shore or throwing out into the main body because I can somewhat control the descend. I prefer the floater from dusk to dawn. I don't bother with the fast sink because a birds nest could get me in deep water.

What I've found more advantageous from shore is a Hudd 68/8 because they both sit on the bottom with hooks up to avoid getting snagged. Mostly fish the ROF 12 for both which hasn't gotten me snagged yet for my particular body of water. Not sure how that would work in southern Cal. I then throw the floater or similar floating bait from dusk to dawn.

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:05 pm

Fast sink can be tricky from shore.

My favorite is so sink.. Stays pretty even no matter the depth. Can count it down, burn it on top, slow roll it next to structure etc...