Swimbaits for summer deep holding bass

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Swimbaits for summer deep holding bass

Post by dragon1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:51 am

alford78 wrote:Yea, I found where to order them. How does one supposed to work that giant bait?
You can fish the Ledgebusters, or the new kid on the block the Blade-Runners: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Blade-Ru ... DBSPB.html

There is also the very difficult to procure Lake Fork spinnerbait affectionately referred to as "Elvis"...created by Joe Spaits himself. Only available in a few limited colors and blade combos however.

The .51 Musky Wire on the Blade-Runner 1.5oz bait, and looped line tie help tremendously for strength. I would only add that you should also tie the collar of the skirt with braid/thread to reinforce it and give better longevity/durability. Personally, I fish Dale Sellers custom spinnerbaits and go single willow for less lift and deeper running depth...and use .50 Musky Wire looped at the line tie as well for my 1.5oz baits.

Use a med-heavy swimbait rod, and a reel with lots of line capacity for 15-20lb test, typically a 200sized or bigger round reel...stay under the 6.0:1 gear ratio. Regardless of what anyone tells you, big LP reels with higher gear raitos like the Daiwa Z, Curado 300 and even higher gear ratio Revo Toros - will not allow you to work properly or crank with power consistently, as well as a lower gear ratio Round Reel or larger LP reel.

Let it drop all the way down to bottom, "pop" it up, lower down your rod tip, crank at a slow to med pace...try to bump off structure, cover, and let it flutter back down every now and then. Remember that you can use your rod to lift, walk and guide your bait over and through cover/structure.

Nice short article...but nothing new, articles for fishing this way have been out for decades. I started trying to master my personal take on this in the mid 1980s (granted back then a 3/4oz Blue Fox/Roland Martin Okeechobee Special was the biggest thing around!): http://rahfish.com/pros-view/tech-speci ... -the-fads/

This tech has killed it in deeper Southern impoundments for decades...luckily, most other states and "yanks" haven't figure this tech out yet, or are willing to try it. Otherwise, you can slow roll with any spinnerbait, usually 3/4 - 1.5oz + works best...and add a good sized trailer body to it for bulk, weight, silhouette, and "body/substance" when the fish eats it.

Works in all water depths of 7'-8' and deeper in my experience...here are a few examples from 6'-10' water with a 1oz

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=57173

Good luck.

alford78
Angler
Angler

Post by alford78 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:34 am

dragon1 wrote:
alford78 wrote:Yea, I found where to order them. How does one supposed to work that giant bait?
You can fish the Ledgebusters, or the new kid on the block the Blade-Runners: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Blade-Ru ... DBSPB.html

There is also the very difficult to procure Lake Fork spinnerbait affectionately referred to as "Elvis"...created by Joe Spaits himself. Only available in a few limited colors and blade combos however.

The .51 Musky Wire on the Blade-Runner 1.5oz bait, and looped line tie help tremendously for strength. I would only add that you should also tie the collar of the skirt with braid/thread to reinforce it and give better longevity/durability. Personally, I fish Dale Sellers custom spinnerbaits and go single willow for less lift and deeper running depth...and use .50 Musky Wire looped at the line tie as well for my 1.5oz baits.

Use a med-heavy swimbait rod, and a reel with lots of line capacity for 15-20lb test, typically a 200sized or bigger round reel...stay under the 6.0:1 gear ratio. Regardless of what anyone tells you, big LP reels with higher gear raitos like the Daiwa Z, Curado 300 and even higher gear ratio Revo Toros - will not allow you to work properly or crank with power consistently, as well as a lower gear ratio Round Reel or larger LP reel.

Let it drop all the way down to bottom, "pop" it up, lower down your rod tip, crank at a slow to med pace...try to bump off structure, cover, and let it flutter back down every now and then. Remember that you can use your rod to lift, walk and guide your bait over and through cover/structure.

Nice short article...but nothing new, articles for fishing this way have been out for decades. I started trying to master my personal take on this in the mid 1980s (granted back then a 3/4oz Blue Fox/Roland Martin Okeechobee Special was the biggest thing around!): http://rahfish.com/pros-view/tech-speci ... -the-fads/

This tech has killed it in deeper Southern impoundments for decades...luckily, most other states and "yanks" haven't figure this tech out yet, or are willing to try it. Otherwise, you can slow roll with any spinnerbait, usually 3/4 - 1.5oz + works best...and add a good sized trailer body to it for bulk, weight, silhouette, and "body/substance" when the fish eats it.

Works in all water depths of 7'-8' and deeper in my experience...here are a few examples from 6'-10' water with a 1oz

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=57173

Good luck.
Thanks. That's what I was imagining as far as action but never afraid to ask a question.

Yea, the Sellers model is what I had found. It does use the musky wire and tie you mentioned correct?

Thanks again!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:27 pm

alford78 wrote:Thanks. That's what I was imagining as far as action but never afraid to ask a question. Yea, the Sellers model is what I had found. It does use the musky wire and tie you mentioned correct?Thanks again!
Just make sure you request that Dale build it with the loop tie...typically the Jackhammers are a slightly smaller diameter wire, I requested .50 Musky wire.

And you are very welcome!

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:32 am

Boondock wrote:Hudds... ROF 12 and 16 are great for deep water fishing
Spro BBZ fast sinks sink pretty fast, more likely to snag as they have two trebles on the bottom.
I have a deep quary I used to fish year round from shore and the Hudds is what I use. Specially since I can toss it out and let it sit on the bottom with little fear of getting snagged.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:16 pm

alford78 wrote:Yeppers on Matt....BTW, try bouncing thos BEEG spinnerbaits off of ledges and slow rolling deep if you can find some structure. When the deep crankbait bite dies off, a big, deep spinnerbait will surprise you.

Yea, I found where to order them. How does one supposed to work that giant bait?
I have fished a 1.5 oz.-2 oz. Ledgebuster spinnerbait with great success. I found it to be especially at home on steep-face bluffs that have small shelves like steps. Just throw to the bank(stay back and make as long a cast as you can). Then just let it fall until it hits a shelf. Try ripping it up sharply or just lifting and reeling for a moment. Either way, repeat that drop after you impart action-just let it fall with your tip down and wait til you feel bottom again. Then give it a pull and a few turns of the handle. Repeat the drop until you can't find bottom or you have reeled all the way back in, even try adding a twitch or 3 on the fall. Vary your retrieve speed and watch your line closely, because some fish will just barely bump it on the fall and you will never feel a thing. You can fish a Hudd ROF 12 much the same way. It takes commitment and more than a little patience to find what the fish want, so don't give up too quickly. You can often find big fish that will whack a lure fished this way when no one else is catching anything. btw, good luck with your efforts! 8-)

TheDarkKnight
Angler
Angler

Post by TheDarkKnight » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm

I used to fish Barkley and Kentucky Lake when I was a child... In addition to shad and sunfish, I remember skipjack herring were prevalent in the waters back then. I'm thinking that maybe you should try herring imitators ( koppers live target, savage gear real herring, etc) and fish them along the channels, points, bluffs, ledges, etc. I'd also want to try a black gizzard hudd 68, too.