Anyone using ocean gear for swimbaits?

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Anyone using ocean gear for swimbaits?

Post by joeyblackwood » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:54 pm

I live near the ocean and was wandering if anyone had used some ocean gear (jigging rods, tuna rods) for their larger swimbaits like bbzs. I was looking at the lure and line ratings of swimbait and ocean rods and they are seemingly very similar.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone using ocean gear for swimbaits?

Post by dragon1 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:38 pm

Absolutely yes...personally I feel that for FW swimbaiting, the guides on most SW rods need to be changed out from the (often used) double-footed oversized SW guides to more user friendly, smaller and lighter FW guides.

I have a custom built Seeker CSW 808 that works for lots of techs, from 3/4oz lipless, to 1/2oz buzzbaits, 1oz Buzzjets, Hudd 6 - Hudd 8 ROF12, 6"-8" Triple Trout, smaller Roman Mades, and even 1oz spinnerbaits.

Do a search on Seeker 808 here and you will find some info.

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:34 am

joeyblackwood wrote:I live near the ocean and was wandering if anyone had used some ocean gear (jigging rods, tuna rods) for their larger swimbaits like bbzs. I was looking at the lure and line ratings of swimbait and ocean rods and they are seemingly very similar.
You're absolutely right! They were my first choice also for off the rack rods from Seeker.

The Seeker rods are a real winner for your inshore and swimbait fishing. The Blue Lightning rods, especially the BCBW 709-7T should be exactly what you need for the lighter BBZ swimbaits you throw. http://www.seekerrods.com/wp-content/up ... ng-All.jpg

The React - Reaction Bait Series, specifically the Swimbait rod CR809-8T is an even better choice for slightly larger baits and larger fish (I use the exact same one in the Blue Lightning Series but without the trigger). http://www.seekerrods.com/wp-content/up ... -React.jpg

If you need anything for larger baits you'll want to look at the Hercules rod series for the more beefy rods, lol.

Hope this helps.

You're undoubtedly familiar with Seeker so you probably know that they are terrific rods and don't cost a terribly lot. Give them a good look. I'm sure you'll like the rods and the prices.

bigswaim
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bigswaim » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:06 am

Most of the guys out here in Ca that throw the really big stuff have custom rods built on saltwater blanks. I have a couple of Phenix 909XHs that are cut to 8', I throw 6oz+ with. Their surprisingly light, and have serious power on em. These blanks are mostly used for throwing iron for yellowtail. Only issue you're going to have with jigging rods is the action might be off and they may be a little short.