Fine Tuning The Hudd Rig

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Fine Tuning The Hudd Rig

Post by GARRIGA » Sat May 18, 2013 9:46 am

Something that has just become known to me is the use of Kevlar for tying hooks to rigs. Something I've used in the past for assist hooks to verticle/speed jigs but not something I understood how to construct. Jiggers are now making their own assist hooks by tying a granny knot (simple overhand) with 300plus pound Kevlar. The unique properties of kevlar allow to cinch down in itself and it won't come loose. No slippage and considering the pound test there's no likelihood of breakage.

Here's the modification, take the Chris Fish rigging and replace the braid with the Kevlar by teying a simple knot front he eye of the Hudd to the eye of the treble and adjust length as needed. Everything else remains the same.

Another variation is to create an assist hook but with a treble and then connect the assist hook to the Hudd eyelet and attach to body as done via BB or Chris Fish.

Here's a link to creating the assist hook so you can see how easy it is to create or inspire other ideas for attaching hooks to big baits. Ignore the use of a solid ring as its not necessarily needed for Hudds but could provide an option for other riggings.

My first attempt will be to snell the hook and do a direct tie to the Hudd. Can always dye the kevlar to match the bait and hide the rig. I'm going to just go with the red first and see how that goes. Lots of baits have some red on them and it could present a damaged and vulnerable bait. Only one way to prove it right or wrong. Chuck the big stuff and leave the finesse stuff at home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-S3tkLM ... ata_player

bigswaim
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Fine Tuning The Hudd Rig

Post by bigswaim » Fri May 24, 2013 1:58 am

Don't think you need to go to that level with Hudds. Myself nor my friends have had any failures with an array of rigs, but mostly just a copy of the BB rig using 80# Power Pro and a double SD Jam.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sun May 26, 2013 2:07 am

Yes, you can use braid like Chris Fish but the beauty of the assist Kevlar cord is the lack of tangles should the hook come loose and ease of tying (stiffer material than braid). The connection from the eye of the Hudd to the hook can be two simple overhand knots or you could tie the typical assist loop which makes it removable. I'm going to try doing a loop snell.

I'm going to do some pics to show what I'm talking about. I think it will be more convenient and quicker than the BB cable or CF braid connection plus the Kevlar cinches on itself so it's never coming undone. Dye it the cord to match the bait and increase the stealth of the bait. Just bringing some more salt tricks to the fresh big bait arena.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon May 27, 2013 10:43 am

Man I wish TT would automatically resize photos so I could post pics from my phone. ](*,)

Anywho- I use to wrap wire & make my own stinger rigs for swimbaits until I discovered the owner stinger harness rig. It's fast, easy & I have total confidence in it. Beats the hell out of making your own. It's the stinger rig Byron velvick used on the ragu bvd bait to win on Clearlake. (Tackle warehouse has a video of him showing how he rigged it on the line-thru bottom hook).
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_St ... -OSHR.html

Just slip the loop end thru the line tie(or thread it with a sewing needle for smaller baits), pull the hook thru the loop, tighten it down and violá. Harness rig that won't come off.

A couple of pointers I've learned from it:
-pull that silly protective tubing off it.
-size #4 for 6" or longer baits, #6 for under 6".
-wrap around the top hook to shorten it as needed. I like the stinger line tight, hugging the bait as much as possible.
- i always use stingers on top of lures instead of under(unless your targeting fish that are above your bait, coming down after it).
I bury one barb of the hook behind the dorsal fin.

Youve probably seen these already- give it a shot if you haven't- they're not expensive & save time.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Mon May 27, 2013 10:59 am

Yes, that's a similar concept but without the snap just less overall hardware. Once I post the pics it will make more sense and could be use as a singer but I wouldn't. I'm all about a single hook to minimize damage to my future trophies and to make transport easier and hassle free for me. The cord can be purchased online from dive shops and its relatively inexpensive. Takes less time to tie than opening the Owner package.

SwimbaitsatLMV
Angler
Angler

Post by SwimbaitsatLMV » Thu May 30, 2013 12:40 pm

I use spectra cording for spearfishing. 100% completely unnecessary in swimbait fishing. Way too bulky and difficult to work with for near 0 advantages. In spearfishing, we still crimp the line as well as tying a knot. Never trust a knot. Even with kevlar/spectra.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu May 30, 2013 9:00 pm

SwimbaitsatLMV wrote:I use spectra cording for spearfishing. 100% completely unnecessary in swimbait fishing. Way too bulky and difficult to work with for near 0 advantages. In spearfishing, we still crimp the line as well as tying a knot. Never trust a knot. Even with kevlar/spectra.
I don't think we're talinking about the same thing. The Kevlar I'm referring to is catching 200 plus pound yellowfin with a simple overhand knot. No crimping needed. I'm not familiar with the spectra cord you are using or it's properties in relation to the Kevlar I'm describing.

Also, understand that the Kevlar comes in different pound test and associated thickness. It's just a matter of choosing the thinnest cord that will keep a better than 20# actual breaking strength knot and yet thick enough so it provides enough rigidity so that it doesn't tangle should it come loose from the body. This is where experimenting and thinking outside the box comes in. If you don't try it than how will you ever know it really didn't work.

I understand your disbelief in this option but I wouldn't knock it till you tried it or waited for my pics showing what I'm doing. No different than the entire concept of swimbaiting where we expect others to adopt the concept of chucking big baits to catch big females. Based on the remarks I get from others telling me big baits won't work I should have quit swimbaiting long ago but I haven't. I just keep chucking and they just keep thinking it won't happen. :)