Put a sweet stinger on my Decoy HydraTail...

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Bladerunner808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Put a sweet stinger on my Decoy HydraTail...

Post by Bladerunner808 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:55 am

Missed a few big un's that swam off with this little gem my first day out. Going back with the stinger tomorrow...
164903_10200968290434187_572827198_n.jpg
164903_10200968290434187_572827198_n.jpg (54.06 KiB) Viewed 4159 times

Bladerunner808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Put a sweet stinger on my Decoy HydraTail...

Post by Bladerunner808 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:56 am

I like my stingers as far back as I can get without impeding swimming motion. I like the way this Mustad triple treble mimics the outline of the anal fin perfectly...

deep
Angler
Angler

Post by deep » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:51 pm

Isn't that bait like 5 inches? :lol: Good luck tomorrow.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:17 pm

I hope I don't get in trouble for posting a link to another forum but I can't upload pics from my phone.
http://www.swimbaitnation.com/nationtal ... 24300#wrap

Scroll down to the 6 HUD swimbaits. I use option number 3, but on small 5-6" swimbaits, I'll tie it to the line tie on the head instead of the hook. If the stinger line is too long, I'll wrap around the top hook a few times.
If your fishing clear water and the fish are under, that swivel might turn em off. If so, use heavy braid. I color my braid & hook to match the bait(green if its on top or white on the bottom). You can paint that swivel & hook too. Every advantage makes a difference, especially when targeting big, old fish that have seen it all.
I actually fish that bait quite a bit(shad color) as well as a few others that are similar size. Using 50# braid and a fast action rod will greatly increase your hookups. You need to set the hook hard as soon as you feel em.
Last edited by spookybaits on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:30 pm

deep wrote:Isn't that bait like 5 inches? :lol: Good luck tomorrow.
Are you making fun of him?
I't's spawning time and bass aren't inhaling other bass for food. Notice he's using a bass pattern? A stinger hook is more useful now than any other time of the year.
And that 5" swimbait your laughing at catches the sh*t out of fish. And in bass pattern, I bet it's quite effective this time of year.

deep
Angler
Angler

Post by deep » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:37 am

Well, I guess I was lol; but not because it's a small bait. My bad if you felt bad OP. I apologize.
I don't see the need for more than one hook (single jig hook or a treble with a point embedded) on even 10" baits (RP trout/ Baitsmith magnum). If a bass wants it, it'll eat all of it.
The one and only time I used a stinger hook (on a hudd- inspired by STE) I gill hooked a fish. Thankfully it was only a 4#.
A stinger on the bottom picks up all the trash- I bottom bump a lot.

I didn't think about pre-spawners when I read the OP. That is a good point.

P.S. Panfish profile baits (bluegill/ crappie) are good for the pre-spawners.

P.P.S. Don't have a problem with 5" baits. It's all about matching the forage. Where I fish, that's trout in the colder months, and bluegill/ panfish in the warmer months.

Spooky, your post reminded me of this article. A good read if you haven't read it before:
http://www.mikelongoutdoors.com/my-favo ... ait-color/

EDIT:
When a bass wants a bait, it eats it like this. (8" hudd)