3:16 swimbait

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
tH3_Guy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

3:16 swimbait

Post by tH3_Guy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:28 pm

anybody else given up on getting one like me? :(
Its never in stock, people just buying it to resell on ebay for more money.

Almost does not matte what color, pattern or size for their hardbaits...

Oh yeah I do refresh it just to make sure its loading from cache too :D Been checking for past 6 months. At first its almost daily checking, even checking a few times a day.... then it got slower and sloooower.

Just gave up now.

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 3:16 swimbait

Post by Boondock » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:20 pm

He did a preorder the the release before the last one...
People follow him on Instagram and Facebook for hints on when the releases will be.
I have 4 3:16 hardbaits. Two straight from 3:16 other two from a swimbait site.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:59 am

Is the 3:16 worth the chase?

I have never seen any videos made by pros using this bait. You see them using triple trouts, bull shads, lunker punkers, matt lures, bbz,... but can't really recall the 3:16 baits in the videos.

Also, sometime ago I red a post on a forum about the 3:16 company and their sales/availability policy plus actual fishing results.
The post was beating the crap out of 3:16 company but they had one argument that was very convincing.
How may records were caught on 3:16 lures?
Another thing mentioned was how you need to get in the circle of good friends to get the hints or be very lucky when visiting the page. Otherwise you have to take you chances in ebay.

One thing is for sure, I haven't spend more than half an hour looking to this baits and I don't believe this will change in the near future. The action is really nice and all but...

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:09 pm

So what has changed from a few years ago? When the baby wake came out, the wake jr and baby wake were constantly in stock.

Now either they're so popular he can't keep a single on in the store, or he refuses to make enough of them to drive up the price. I'm guessing he's just being a scumbag.

I don't know much about the lure making process but they're resin baits. They're made with a machine right?

jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jiggerjake » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:11 pm

I have to admit I've been trying to get my hands on a 6" SS Shad for some time now.I'm on one of the popular swimbait sites regularly and 3:16 facebook.I always miss when they go on sale and never really see these clues on FB everyone talks about.The baits do sell out in about 3 min ](*,) The worst part for me is the sellers on these sites will usually never list an asking price.Its "PM me with offers" and they basically run thier own private e-bay auction and you have no idea if you are even close to what they want for a bait.Not trying to sound like sour grapes cause I don't mind overpaying a little(ok a lot) just tell me what you want for it!
I'll score one at a reasonable price eventually.Until then I'll fish my Hudds 68spec and my Bull Shad (when it gets here) ;)

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:50 am

I agree with the offer game. Hate that so much!!

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:57 am

The 3:16 crowd is like a secret society. It's sometimes painful to be an outsider but feels pretty good once you get in. I was fortunate enough to get 2 baits recently and I'm hoping to add a few more of their baits when I can, but I won't pay more than retail (mainly because I can't bear the though of losing a $100+ bait).

The part that bothers me the most about the whole 3:16 mystique is that the availability is so low and the demand so high that people now try to get in on the releases just for the sole purpose of reselling the baits for a profit. These people are making more money on Mickey's baits than he is, which is a real shame IMO. Until the availability meets or exceeds the demand though it will remain that way. These are 100% hand made and painted baits and that takes time. Remember they make soft baits too.

There have been some amazing fish caught on 3:16 baits. I believe Dottie was duped once on a Mission Fish.

The best plan is to buy a few of their soft baits and fish them until you get lucky and get in on a release. You may find it beneficial to be a 3:16 customer ;) Word on the street is also that production will be ramping up here soon.

jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jiggerjake » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:05 pm

That would be nice to see.Just hope the quality doesn't go down if production goes up.I really don't mind paying $80-$150 retail for some of his work but double the cost from guys that got em just to re-sell,ouch!

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:36 pm

3:16 Baits are hard to come by and price seems a little high but quality and paint is superb and I haven't seen any that comes like that from factory.

People catch fish on 3:16 but not everyone likes to tell people what they are using, you have to remember that, secrets are secrets. My buddy and I never tell anyone what we are using, folks around here think we are going after Nothern Pikes, so we leave it at that. Obviously for a more readily available bait such as the hudd is more likely to be reveiled as the culprit for catching bass. Obviously the 110 is not a swimbait I still don't tell anyone what I use around here and the bait is readily available. Sometimes it's good to keep your lip zipped, once fish adapt to the bait the catch rate goes down.

One bait I recommend is the baby wake, not too big not too small. Perfect for the lakes around here or for states that don't produce giant bass like California. Like thelatrobe said their softbaits produce as well, I've gotten good results on the top hook rising sun.

Most of us know when they are released but nobody says anything as the more people that know the date(s) the less likely we all will get baits. Ask and look around, you shall find your answer and good luck on your hunt!!

Edit: Forgot to mention these are lifetime warranty as long as the bait has never been altered or repainted. People have sent in baits they broke from over throwing into a sidewalk and break the bait in half. Mickey replaced the bait, no questions asked.

jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jiggerjake » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:48 pm

Actually the Baby Wake is the only 3:16 I currently own.I'm looking forward to throwing it soon.They say you can catch em on that in 50deg water.Here in Pa. that may be a while yet.

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Get youself a BBZ-1 6"or 8" floater, they're just as good and cost less. lol. And you'll catch just as many toads with them also.

I stopped buying 3:16 several years ago when, in a telephone conversation with Micky, I had the gaul to tell him that I wasn't going to buy one of his $300, 10" FS baits because I had two girls in college and couldn't afford it to which he responded, "Don't you want to catch a world record? Your going to need one of these if you want that record!". That was the last time I even considered buying one of his baits. His arrogance is too much for my tastes.

There is also another company I've been buying from by the name of Middle Fish Lures, http://www.middlefishlures.com that aren't quite as expensive but just as high quality. And they are a great group of guys also. Check em out the next time you need baits but can't get em from where you want them. (Not affiliated with them in any way.)

Tim

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:07 pm

Native wrote:Get youself a BBZ-1 6"or 8" floater, they're just as good and cost less. lol. And you'll catch just as many toads with them also.

I stopped buying 3:16 several years ago when, in a telephone conversation with Micky, I had the gaul to tell him that I wasn't going to buy one of his $300, 10" FS baits because I had two girls in college and couldn't afford it to which he responded, "Don't you want to catch a world record? Your going to need one of these if you want that record!". That was the last time I even considered buying one of his baits. His arrogance is too much for my tastes.

There is also another company I've been buying from by the name of Middle Fish Lures, http://www.middlefishlures.com that aren't quite as expensive but just as high quality. And they are a great group of guys also. Check em out the next time you need baits but can't get em from where you want them. (Not affiliated with them in any way.)

Tim
Hold crap, those would be deadly in Cali! What are the warranties on those things?

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:28 am

Native wrote:Get youself a BBZ-1 6"or 8" floater, they're just as good and cost less. lol. And you'll catch just as many toads with them also.

Tim
The world record black mail ](*,) [-X

Indeed, if you want to fish the 3:16 lures you have to play along with the act.
Once you play and pay and by the time you get accepted, you have put so much effort in it that in any normal person subconscious mind, this lures must be worth of it.
This is like a feedback loop, the more effort you make to buy something, the more desirable worth it gets.

Mike is playing the market very well =D> and keeps a fine control in the out of the pack people preventing them from posting comments and expressing their opinion.

Bottom line, where is the dam world record? or it just bluff? :-k :-s

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:28 pm

I believe Dottie was originally foul hooked on the outside of her jaw on a jig.

I personally sought a 3:16 bait until I read reviews of how well a TT worked in comparison.

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:45 pm

dragon1 wrote:I believe Dottie was originally foul hooked on the outside of her jaw on a jig.
Not initially. Mike Long and Jed Dickerson both caught Dottie before Mac Weakley's capture of her.