3:16 swimbait

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
deep
Angler
Angler

Re: 3:16 swimbait

Post by deep » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:50 pm

Bass Junkie wrote:
dragon1 wrote:I believe Dottie was originally foul hooked on the outside of her jaw on a jig.
Not initially. Mike Long and Jed Dickerson both caught Dottie before Mac Weakley's capture of her.
That is correct, from what I read. Mr. Long caught her on a Castaic bait I think.

I'd be interested in knowing if a 3:16 bait has ever caught even a teener, not counting Dickerson's catch- which was off a bed, and IMO depends more on the angler's skill than the particular bait used.

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:49 am

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Native wrote:Get youself a BBZ-1 6"or 8" floater, they're just as good and cost less. lol. And you'll catch just as many toads with them also.

I stopped buying 3:16 several years ago when, in a telephone conversation with Micky, I had the gaul to tell him that I wasn't going to buy one of his $300, 10" FS baits because I had two girls in college and couldn't afford it to which he responded, "Don't you want to catch a world record? Your going to need one of these if you want that record!". That was the last time I even considered buying one of his baits. His arrogance is too much for my tastes.

There is also another company I've been buying from by the name of Middle Fish Lures, http://www.middlefishlures.com that aren't quite as expensive but just as high quality. And they are a great group of guys also. Check em out the next time you need baits but can't get em from where you want them. (Not affiliated with them in any way.)

Tim
The world record black mail ](*,) [-X

Indeed, if you want to fish the 3:16 lures you have to play along with the act.
Once you play and pay and by the time you get accepted, you have put so much effort in it that in any normal person subconscious mind, this lures must be worth of it.
This is like a feedback loop, the more effort you make to buy something, the more desirable worth it gets.

Mike is playing the market very well =D> and keeps a fine control in the out of the pack people preventing them from posting comments and expressing their opinion.

Bottom line, where is the dam world record? or it just bluff? :-k :-s
See that's just it, it's a figment of his imagination. Borne from his desire to have the best marketing plan available. The same plan that Roman Made has legitimately been able to use, and in some peoples minds, their claim to fame. Personnally, vastly superior to many in the market including 3:16. (Van, you should try them if you haven't. I'll let you try many of mine if you'd like. They all rock.)

Tim

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:11 am

dragon1 wrote:I believe Dottie was originally foul hooked on the outside of her jaw on a jig.

I personally sought a 3:16 bait until I read reviews of how well a TT worked in comparison.
They are, and aren't. Depends on what the conditions, demand and variety is the key to keeping the trophy Mama's off guard. Once they get used to seeing a particular color scheme they stop cold unless you vary the conditions (i.e. type of scent, retrieve style, modifications to the bait, etc.). Tricks as simple as tying a 4" strip of red yarn or mylar flash around the back joint connection of the bait is enough to peak their interest and get a reaction bite when they wouldn't look at it otherwise.

There are many, many goods bait's to consider, don't get stuck on one or even several. A great justification for building the collection! Think outside the box, always! LOL.

Tim

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:34 pm

deep wrote:
Bass Junkie wrote:
Not initially. Mike Long and Jed Dickerson both caught Dottie before Mac Weakley's capture of her.
That is correct, from what I read. Mr. Long caught her on a Castaic bait I think.

I'd be interested in knowing if a 3:16 bait has ever caught even a teener, not counting Dickerson's catch- which was off a bed, and IMO depends more on the angler's skill than the particular bait used.
Good to know gents...but was she at ~ 25lbs (as guessed) the other previous times? Just curious as I meant this in context that she was not caught previously as a world record catch. I believe one must beat the standing record by a few ounces as well like the WRLMB from Lake Biwa, Japan?

Here is a short blurb I found: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2009/feb ... nd-dottie/

"But we know this.

She was Mike Long's catch at 20 pounds, 10 ounces in April 2001.

She was Jed Dickerson's Dottie at 21 pounds, 11½ ounces in 2003. Witnesses that day on the Dixon Lake dock, including supervising ranger Jim Dayberry, saw her push the certified scale to 22 pounds, 7 ounces. That would have broken Perry's legendary 22-4. It should have. But when she was weighed later, she had lost some roe and some of her most recent meal and weighed less. And for some reason, still roughly unexplained, her original weight wasn't counted.

It should have been.

And in her final dance with the record-chasing Bassbusters, Dottie, after some serious bingeing and egg-bearing, tipped the hand-held scale on the fishing dock at Dixon Lake in March of 2006 at 25 pounds, 1 ounce. But Weakley had inadvertently foul-hooked her off her spawning bed. He still could have submitted the catch as a IGFA all-tackle record, but Weakley was crushed by the controversy and didn't apply."

deep
Angler
Angler

Post by deep » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:46 pm

21 pounds, 11.2 ounces Jed Dickerson Dixon Lake - California May 31, 2003
20 pounds, 12 ounces Mike Long Dixon Lake - California April 27, 2001

These are the official weights. When Mike Long caught Dottie, she weighed over 25 lbs, and I recall I saw a pic somewhere of Mr Long weighing Dottie on a handheld digital scale that read 25+ lbs. I should have saved that picture on my hard drive. Fish lost a lot of weight by the time an officially weight could be gotten. Part of the story is in the book "Sowbelly"- a good read although evidently it strays from the truth at times.

primus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by primus » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:13 pm

The Wake Jr. is a terrific bait, I'm also a big fan of the Rising Son. I do like add a little weight to the Rising Son to get it to stay down a little better to allow for a faster retrieve. The 316 Hardbaits are always put together well and come with tough durable paintjobs.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:08 pm

deep wrote:21 pounds, 11.2 ounces Jed Dickerson Dixon Lake - California May 31, 2003
20 pounds, 12 ounces Mike Long Dixon Lake - California April 27, 2001

These are the official weights. When Mike Long caught Dottie, she weighed over 25 lbs, and I recall I saw a pic somewhere of Mr Long weighing Dottie on a handheld digital scale that read 25+ lbs. I should have saved that picture on my hard drive. Fish lost a lot of weight by the time an officially weight could be gotten. Part of the story is in the book "Sowbelly"- a good read although evidently it strays from the truth at times.
I find it hard to believe that Mike Long had Dottie in his possession long enough to lose over 4lbs...so this must be where his book "strays from the truth at times".