Best hook for Basstrix Paddletail

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Best hook for Basstrix Paddletail

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:53 pm

What do you think is the best hook for the Basstrix Paddletail 6"? I am using the Falcon hooks and they destroy the plastic if you hook 1 fish. I was thinking something with one of those spring locks. Any thoughts?

dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Best hook for Basstrix Paddletail

Post by dcorp » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:14 pm

I started to use the owner beast hooks. They have the spring that goes into the nose of the swimbait. Before that I was using Gamakatsu extra wide gap (EWG) superline hooks. I'm not sure which I prefer better yet. I can usually catch more than 5 bass on one bait before it gets to destroyed. If you are getting one bass per bait that is pretty bad, change hooks and bring some crazy glue with you in the boat. It can fix anything and drys very fast, overall it will save you a lot of money in plastics.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:06 pm

One fish is a slight exaggeration but I use the Falcon 5/0 weighted hooks and they are superline hooks and with the weight it doesn't take long to tear a bait up after 1-2 fish occasionally get 3 or 4 fish of one. I realize that is expecting a lot but just looking for a hook that doesn't do so much damage.

dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dcorp » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:21 am

ya these basstrix are soft and get pretty tore up after a few bass but I love them. The problem I run into using the spring lock hooks is after a fish or two and that spring pops out you cant get it in the same hole(which is usually in the center of the head). So you try putting the spring in at an angle or just off center in the head and the bait wont swim right. try the crazy glue on some of your baits that are ripping and see if you can get a few more fish on them.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:11 pm

I don't fish Basstrix but for my paddletails I swear by the Owner Beast. They have several different size clips and I use the biggest that will fit the baits nose without protruding on the sides. I want the clip inside and anchored. Seems to be the best approach for prolonging the life of the baits nose. Also, how a bass hits the bait will affect its durability. When I get a good hook up and the hook slide up and into the mouth there less damage than when the bass mangles the bait and I comes off the clip. Luckily soft baits are affordable and the bigger paddletails tend to produce better quality fish. One or two per bait is about average. Unless they are dinks and then you can catch half a dozen plus of those.

bciya
Angler
Angler

Post by bciya » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:45 am

Owner beast 4/0 for the 5in Basstrix and a 6/0 for the 6in. After trying a lot of different hooks I've settled exclusively on these :)

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:57 am

bciya wrote:Owner beast 4/0 for the 5in Basstrix and a 6/0 for the 6in. After trying a lot of different hooks I've settled exclusively on these :)
Owner Beast FTW

g11k11
Angler
Angler

Post by g11k11 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:38 am

x2 on the owner beast

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:34 am

I haven't used basstrix paddletails but if they're hollow, I'll let you in on a trick I started doing with Shadalicious swimbaits.
I cut a 3/4 inch slot through the belly of the bait where the bend of the hook goes through. Then I cut half inch chunks off of plastic worms and work them up into the nose of the bait. Gives a screw-in-retainer something extra to bite into instead of just sticking into the hollow part of the belly. Now when I hook a fish the screw lock usually stays in place instead of pulling out and destroying the nose of the bait.

Occasionally you'll get some color bleed depending on the type of plastic you use. I don't mind the color thing though, just gives me more options. :D