Need help for first Swimbait

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Big Al
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Need help for first Swimbait

Post by Big Al » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:53 pm

Never really had one, never threw one but I think I should at least try one this spring. Can you guys recommend a bait that won't break the bank. I really don't want to spend $50 on a bait. My buddy bought a $25 swimbait last year and the first time he cast it.....snap......off it went into the pond. Evidently his line was wrapped around the tip.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need help for first Swimbait

Post by dragon1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:57 pm

I looked for and found some "used" baits for quite a bit less than new retail...otherwise, I found some "rebadged" AC plugs that were very well priced. Big SW lures also work well and are priced better than "dedicated/bass-labled" SB lures IMO.

A Cotton Cordell Redfin would be a good option, both original and jointed.

S@CKS to hear about your buddy's first cast!

Good luck.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:12 pm

Watch out for used rubber baits. I would only buy used hard-baits if any at all. How big of bait can you handle. A 6 or 8 inch hud is a great first bait, but may be to large for your rods. You may want to try a swim jig with a trailer or some of the keitech 5" baits. There smaller so your rods wont have issues and they work.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:49 pm

What's the heaviest outfit you have and what type of line and pound test do you plan to use? Based on your question it appears you want to wet your feet before plunging for the required gear.

trav
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by trav » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:01 pm

For starting out, Id start with the Mattlures Tournament Series. You can throw these on a flipping stick, and they get bit. Dont let the smaller size be deceiving, they can catch some big fish. Check out Matt Allen's website, I think he recently stuck a 10+ on one.

Big Al
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Big Al » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:48 am

GARRIGA wrote:What's the heaviest outfit you have and what type of line and pound test do you plan to use? Based on your question it appears you want to wet your feet before plunging for the required gear.
Correct, the longest rod I have is a 6'8" and will handle 1 oz. using 40lb braid. I just can't afford to throw $25 baits away :roll:

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:48 am

With that rod you will want to stick to something smaller like the bastrix paddle tails and other baits in th 4-5 inch range. You could also rock some of the bbz-1 4" hard baits but there up in your 25 dollar no go range.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:22 am

Big Al wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:What's the heaviest outfit you have and what type of line and pound test do you plan to use? Based on your question it appears you want to wet your feet before plunging for the required gear.
Correct, the longest rod I have is a 6'8" and will handle 1 oz. using 40lb braid. I just can't afford to throw $25 baits away :roll:
softbait: Mattlures U2 Gill - boot tail for waking and a straight tail for bottom fishing
hardbait: Jackall Giron

All are 3/4oz. You really need a longer, heavier rod for any other baits.

Good luck!

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:43 am

Problem with that rod is the lack of true experience trying out swimbaits. For me, the goal of chucking swimbaits is targeting those older experienced females which seek bigger less often meals. That range starts around an 8" Hudd on a 8ft plus 5 oz capable rod and reel that holds adequate amount of 20-30# mono. Anything less is just throwing bigger baits and not what focus each cast with hopes of a personal best.

If just seeking the most realistic offering than that's fine too but that's more geared towards fooling more fish and not towards fooling the biggest and baddest that swims.

The biggest fish I've seen have mostly come on an 8" Hudd. Having said that, the biggest I hooked came on a Big EZ which is far from big or ultra realistic.

As stated previously, check out paddletails and the smaller 1 to 1.5 oz baits. If you want to really chuck the big stuff than get the proper gear and you won't loose that $25 lure. Okuma/Cardiff or Lexa 300 are well within affordable and capable. This can be acquired used and if its not wanted anymore can be sold for close to purchase price. Much better approach to throwing your first true swimbait without fear of it sailing into the sunset.

Versatile Futurian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Versatile Futurian » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:58 pm

Since you are just starting out with swimbaits. Just get a pack of Reaction Innovations Skinny Dippers in whatever color you think will work on the body of water you are fishing. Some good jigheads in a couple weight sizes with big hooks for fishing open water and some 4/0 or 5/0 weighted Owner Beast hooks for fishing around cover. That is a good place to start and you will definitely catch fish.

Mattlures
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mattlures » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:22 am

Big Al you rod will most likely handle baits a little heavier then what its rated for.
Trav and Tokugawa Thank you for recommending some of my baits. Of course I agree :D and I have lot of baits that will work with regular bass rods. But aside from my own baits the Hudd68 and or one of the smaller Rago line through baits are good choices

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:19 am

Realprey Alewife, support the local guy Big Al. Don't need a big heavy rod for it and it catches fish like crazy. Give Joe a call!

Big Al
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Big Al » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:09 am

Thanks All!

reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reddragon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:10 pm

I used to throw u-2 mattlures with my 843c glx it was fine and they worked great...

deep
Angler
Angler

Post by deep » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:28 pm

My first swimbait was a Spro BBZ. I quickly outgrew it. Got one of Matt's hardgills, and that was the beginning of the obsession.
Pretty much anything Matt (Mattlures) or (Ken) Huddleston makes will catch fish; the rago tool, the slammer, and the 10" realprey trout are the other baits I fish regularly.
If $25 is what I had to spend, I'd get a Mattlures softgill or a 7"/9"MS Slammer- given your gear limitations.

P.S. Braid isn't much good for the sort of swimbaiting I like to do. With 40# braid, I'd be casting off baits left and right, although most of my swimbaits are a bit heavier than 1 oz.