Need help for first Swimbait

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
yendor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Need help for first Swimbait

Post by yendor » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:23 pm

MS SLAMMER

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:17 pm

yendor wrote:MS SLAMMER
Yep...the MS Slammer and TT were the top two hardbaits on my list to procure, for starting out on swimbait fishing.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:44 pm

Berkley makes a 6" weighted paddletail swimbait in the powerbait series. They have a great hook and are only $4.50 for 3 at BPS. And they catch some big fish. I got a 5 and 7 on the 3rd and 5th cast the first time I tried them. Needless to say, I have used them extensively. I also caught an 8# browm trout out of Blue Ridge on one.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:55 pm

The smaller Berkley weighted/pre-hooked swimbaits also catch a lot of walleyes, perch and trout in our area waters.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:27 pm

dragon1 wrote:The smaller Berkley weighted/pre-hooked swimbaits also catch a lot of walleyes, perch and trout in our area waters.
Same here, my dad and I caught several small bass and crappie on the 3" ones back in January. They have a lot of action and are surprisingly durable.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:32 pm

Personally, I believe the design to be very much like the original Blue Fox Vibra Minnow Jigs (I hope I am recalling the lure's name correctly?) from the mid 1980s...I caught a ton of trout, perch, crappie and bass on those little lures.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:55 am

dragon1 wrote:Personally, I believe the design to be very much like the original Blue Fox Vibra Minnow Jigs (I hope I am recalling the lure's name correctly?) from the mid 1980s...I caught a ton of trout, perch, crappie and bass on those little lures.
I agree, and they copied the original Sassy Shad from Mister twister, only adding an intenal weight. There truly is "nothing new under the sun". ;)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:42 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
dragon1 wrote:Personally, I believe the design to be very much like the original Blue Fox Vibra Minnow Jigs (I hope I am recalling the lure's name correctly?) from the mid 1980s...I caught a ton of trout, perch, crappie and bass on those little lures.
I agree, and they copied the original Sassy Shad from Mister twister, only adding an intenal weight. There truly is "nothing new under the sun". ;)

Yep, and the Lil Fishie soft plastic swimbait. These baits back in the early 1980s had a very unique "V" hinge design in the rear of the bait to help give the tail better swimming action.

It has always amazed me how some of the very best designs die out due to lack of public appeal/lack of marketing (which translates to sales), or are bought out by a bigger firm, cheapened and then dies; or worst of all, is out marketed by lesser products.

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:32 am

dragon1 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:

Yep, and the Lil Fishie soft plastic swimbait. These baits back in the early 1980s had a very unique "V" hinge design in the rear of the bait to help give the tail better swimming action.

It has always amazed me how some of the very best designs die out due to lack of public appeal/lack of marketing (which translates to sales), or are bought out by a bigger firm, cheapened and then dies; or worst of all, is out marketed by lesser products.
Unfortunately the most effective yet worst marketing/sales efforts is simple peer pressure!

"Ohh man you don't want to use that BBZ-1 piece of ish! You need to get a 3:16 Wake Jr. man, they really rock! What?, Catch anything? Well no man, not yet, but Bubba down the way says he's caught tons of big'ins on his Wake Jr. and we all know that he's the shiz-nit when it comes to knowin' ish about fishing right Bra????, Alright then, get rid of that thing ..." :sick: