Swimbait line?

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Swimbait line?

Post by Native » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:40 am

I think your on the right track. I use the Spider Hitch for my Double Loop to Loop connections. Simple to do, can do it with your eyes closed and is as strong as the Bimini without the complexity. Lubricate the Spider before tightening then put the loop on a post and tighten that sucker down and becomes wide but thin profiled. Ideal for passing thru regular guides. Give it a shot, it might surprise you with it's effectiveness. I swear by it.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:01 pm

Native wrote:I think your on the right track. I use the Spider Hitch for my Double Loop to Loop connections. Simple to do, can do it with your eyes closed and is as strong as the Bimini without the complexity. Lubricate the Spider before tightening then put the loop on a post and tighten that sucker down and becomes wide but thin profiled. Ideal for passing thru regular guides. Give it a shot, it might surprise you with it's effectiveness. I swear by it.
Yeah, Spider is easy. One thumb and you're good to go. :lol:

bassindon69
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bassindon69 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:22 pm

jiggerjake wrote:Anyone useing P Line PF ? It has a thin dia. compared to the CX or CXX. Along the lines of something like Sunline Supernatural but the PF is a co-poly.
This is all I have used from the day it came out or close to that time lol. Almost every single big bass I set on comes up to or just under the surface. Most jump one to 6 times on the way in. No drag is needed with the right pressure on the fish. If I used braid I feel I would be more worried about ripping a hook out. If you use drag then that also is means of the fish gaining control.I However we all like to do things this way or that so if it works its right.

g11k11
Angler
Angler

Post by g11k11 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:37 am

20-25lb big game or triple fish mono

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Wed May 08, 2013 4:51 am

bassindon69 wrote:
jiggerjake wrote:Anyone useing P Line PF ? It has a thin dia. compared to the CX or CXX. Along the lines of something like Sunline Supernatural but the PF is a co-poly.
This is all I have used from the day it came out or close to that time lol. Almost every single big bass I set on comes up to or just under the surface. Most jump one to 6 times on the way in. No drag is needed with the right pressure on the fish. If I used braid I feel I would be more worried about ripping a hook out. If you use drag then that also is means of the fish gaining control.I However we all like to do things this way or that so if it works its right.
So do you ever snap fish off if your drag is locked down?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:06 am

cst wrote:So do you ever snap fish off if your drag is locked down?
I highly doubt any sized LMB can "snap off" line in the 15lb + CXX class/size, unless the fish "fell out of a tree" on a taught line. If they are running into structure, that is different, but open water with swimbaits, doubtful.

The heavier line is really meant to absorb the punishment put on by the heavier lures during casting, retrieving etc., and not necessarily during the hookup & fight of the fish.

I just personally put on some 17lb CXX in favor of 20lb CXX (in clear as it tends to be very slightly thicker in diameter than moss green) for lures up to the TT 8" and such, and have no qualms bout this line being strong enough for most everything I need it for here.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Wed May 08, 2013 10:30 am

dragon1 wrote:
cst wrote:So do you ever snap fish off if your drag is locked down?
I highly doubt any sized LMB can "snap off" line in the 15lb + CXX class/size, unless the fish "fell out of a tree" on a taught line. If they are running into structure, that is different, but open water with swimbaits, doubtful.

The heavier line is really meant to absorb the punishment put on by the heavier lures during casting, retrieving etc., and not necessarily during the hookup & fight of the fish.

I just personally put on some 17lb CXX in favor of 20lb CXX (in clear as it tends to be very slightly thicker in diameter than moss green) for lures up to the TT 8" and such, and have no qualms bout this line being strong enough for most everything I need it for here.
True. Rocks help though. And then there are striper, which I don't have much experience with.

bassindon69
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bassindon69 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:17 am

cst wrote:
bassindon69 wrote:
NEVER! Check the videos at youtube under bassindon69
Locked drag and XH and XXH LDC rods get em in. I don't like getting my butt kicked, I like kicking butt :lol:
ALL fish are on P-line PF 25 and 30 with 10" hard baits and bigger. Even in heavy cover with the weedless 8" hudd I use PF 25 (they come up to the surface anyway), ALWAYS no matter what you use check line and retie as needed ;) Line is what you have confidence in, I have it with PF even in clear water. It's clear in the lakes I fish for the most part anyway.
Good luck with whatever you try :mrgreen:

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Wed May 08, 2013 11:53 am

bassindon69 wrote:
cst wrote:
bassindon69 wrote:
NEVER! Check the videos at youtube under bassindon69
Locked drag and XH and XXH LDC rods get em in. I don't like getting my butt kicked, I like kicking butt :lol:
ALL fish are on P-line PF 25 and 30 with 10" hard baits and bigger. Even in heavy cover with the weedless 8" hudd I use PF 25 (they come up to the surface anyway), ALWAYS no matter what you use check line and retie as needed ;) Line is what you have confidence in, I have it with PF even in clear water. It's clear in the lakes I fish for the most part anyway.
Good luck with whatever you try :mrgreen:
Already seen some of your videos!

I've been fishing 65lb spectra to 30lb big game with decent results but was thinking of trying the PF. I'm just not sure if I want to strip the spectra off one of my reels or get a new reel to try the PF on.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed May 08, 2013 12:01 pm

That's an easy one to answer-get a new reel! :lol:

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Wed May 08, 2013 12:11 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:That's an easy one to answer-get a new reel! :lol:
Or TWO

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Thu May 16, 2013 12:14 am

GARRIGA wrote:Yes, I'm aware of the BB rig but I have other concerns like carrying and handling those treble lures at night while walking the bank. As Tim stated, the hook is not sharp which gets compounded by any stretch. The BB rig will be my last resort as I workout refining my braid/fluoro setup. Perhaps in the future Ken will enploy an Owner or Gami super sharp thinner hook. I'd pay the premium to get a better setup.

Dear Garriga,

Maybe I'm stepping too far but I will say it any way.
In my opinion you are approaching the problem in the wrong way.

It doesn't matter how good is your rod, reel, line, lure, knot..., if you don't get the hook well placed in the fish mouth.
You have concerns carrying the lure, I normally hold the rod when walking, like in fishing position and I use my index finger to hold the line just above the lure. Like that I have full control and knowledge of the lure whereabouts.

If you decide to go the BB route (which I would advise), you can always use a treble hook cap.

You are losing trust in your gear because you are unhooking fish with the huddle. Well, this is a well known problem with a well known solution.
Think well before you try to reinvent the wheel.

Please don't be offended with my speech, these word come from someone that is very unwilling when doing lure modifications.

Good luck,
CC

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu May 16, 2013 4:08 am

Carlos,

No offense taken and reason we come to these forums - different views and approaches so we can all learn.

I'll probably go the BB way but ala Mike Long with split rings and swivels because I prefer the idea of carrying unrigged Hudds. Anything to make shore bound fishing more enjoyable is highly sought out.

To solve the treble issue I will just rig it with two hooks down and those will be clipped. Safety for me at night and faster hook removal for the fish. Specially under low light conditions.

I've reloaded with straight 30# copolymer as the will have less stretch than 25# and forget the fluoro leader. We'll see how that goes.

I've gone back to vertical jigging (inspired by a search to find a solution for this) and have started using JBHC again but this time their 60# and its much smoother than what we typically load out reels with plus it has an actual break strength of greater than 90# which is more than I need for swimbaits or the nasty AJs I love to pursue.

Ultimately, I'm going to load 60# JBHC with an end loop and create my own 40# fluoro wind-on leaders so I can be ready for oversize bass as well as the occasional snook or tarpon found in the same waters. Gotta love south Florida.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:41 pm

Crazy game fish variety for sure in S. Florida!

You lucky dog! :mrgreen:

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Thu May 16, 2013 9:04 pm

GARRIGA wrote:Carlos,

No offense taken and reason we come to these forums - different views and approaches so we can all learn.

I'll probably go the BB way but ala Mike Long with split rings and swivels because I prefer the idea of carrying unrigged Hudds. Anything to make shore bound fishing more enjoyable is highly sought out.

To solve the treble issue I will just rig it with two hooks down and those will be clipped. Safety for me at night and faster hook removal for the fish. Specially under low light conditions.

I've reloaded with straight 30# copolymer as the will have less stretch than 25# and forget the fluoro leader. We'll see how that goes.

I've gone back to vertical jigging (inspired by a search to find a solution for this) and have started using JBHC again but this time their 60# and its much smoother than what we typically load out reels with plus it has an actual break strength of greater than 90# which is more than I need for swimbaits or the nasty AJs I love to pursue.

Ultimately, I'm going to load 60# JBHC with an end loop and create my own 40# fluoro wind-on leaders so I can be ready for oversize bass as well as the occasional snook or tarpon found in the same waters. Gotta love south Florida.
Let us know the outcome.

I have also been dealing with some landing problems but my guess is that is more related to the fish mood that really with my approach. Also, I must consider that I'm fishing most docks and due to the lake low water level I'm 1 meter above the water.
Plus the fish seem very unwilling to really commit to the lures, very educated and selective.

The good part is the fact that is has been a great learning experience. I always thing that one learns more with the fish that we don't land. :-k :big grin: