Target salmon and steel head

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Target salmon and steel head

Post by angry john » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:12 pm

I may be moving to Washington state in the next few months and was wondering if anyone is using swimbaits to target these larger fish. Seems like it may be a great idea for the steelhead because they feed on the salmon fry. Any ideas or experience?

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Target salmon and steel head

Post by lpquick » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:27 pm

Time to learn how to fly fish, catching a steelhead on a fly is intoxicating.

TheDarkKnight
Angler
Angler

Post by TheDarkKnight » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:55 pm

Go for it and have fun experimenting.

flaswimbaiter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by flaswimbaiter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:38 pm

I would start with a 3" H2O bait, great action and similar in size to their forage.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:35 pm

well got my moving orders so i will have the chance to try this out. I have some keitech easy shiners on hand so i will give those a go first. First chance will be august so i will have to see when the run...

daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwa lunatic » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:58 pm

I lived here in BC Canada neighbor to Washington, where Salmon is more common than bass, you'll enjoy it in Washingon specially when it starts running, basically you'll have the whole year to fish the 5 different species of salmon in washington, and steelhead in the winter.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:25 pm

daiwa lunatic wrote:I lived here in BC Canada neighbor to Washington, where Salmon is more common than bass, you'll enjoy it in Washingon specially when it starts running, basically you'll have the whole year to fish the 5 different species of salmon in washington, and steelhead in the winter.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

One for each species of salmon. I absolutely love the fight, speed and torque from salmon and steelhead. The only experience I have are California King and steelhead...but these fish kicked @$$!

daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwa lunatic » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:34 pm

We have salmon here for fly, light tackle and all the way to heavy tackle
dragon1 wrote:
daiwa lunatic wrote:I lived here in BC Canada neighbor to Washington, where Salmon is more common than bass, you'll enjoy it in Washingon specially when it starts running, basically you'll have the whole year to fish the 5 different species of salmon in washington, and steelhead in the winter.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

One for each species of salmon. I absolutely love the fight, speed and torque from salmon and steelhead. The only experience I have are California King and steelhead...but these fish kicked @$$!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:26 pm

So many places and species to fish....and only one lifetime to fulfill! 8-)

finebar4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finebar4 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:42 am

When is the best time of the year to catch them? We have an open territory in Washington that I will be helping cover over the next couple months. I am going a week at a time in my rotations and fully plan on bringing a rod or two to have at it while I am out there. If I could talk the wife into it, I would contemplate taking that area as my own as it includes frequent trips to Alaska.

daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwa lunatic » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:19 pm

finebar4 wrote:When is the best time of the year to catch them? We have an open territory in Washington that I will be helping cover over the next couple months. I am going a week at a time in my rotations and fully plan on bringing a rod or two to have at it while I am out there. If I could talk the wife into it, I would contemplate taking that area as my own as it includes frequent trips to Alaska.
Fish comes in here the whole year round, December to march, you can get Steelhead, april to june, Red Spring ( Chinook with a red meat, June to August for Sockeye salmon, August to October Pink Salmon, October to december Coho, White Spring, Chum Salmon, and December comes back with steelhead starting to show up on the river, basically keeps you busy the whole year, unless you just want to stay inside during the winter. For sockeye, fisheries keep an eye on the returns and sometimes they would open it only for a few days only, but during that time red spring are still running so you just cant keep the sockeye but you can keep the spring, most of the species will overlap each other during their run, so you can't stop. and it depends also on the area you fish.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:52 pm

daiwa lunatic wrote:
finebar4 wrote:When is the best time of the year to catch them? We have an open territory in Washington that I will be helping cover over the next couple months. I am going a week at a time in my rotations and fully plan on bringing a rod or two to have at it while I am out there. If I could talk the wife into it, I would contemplate taking that area as my own as it includes frequent trips to Alaska.
Fish comes in here the whole year round, December to march, you can get Steelhead, april to june, Red Spring ( Chinook with a red meat, June to August for Sockeye salmon, August to October Pink Salmon, October to december Coho, White Spring, Chum Salmon, and December comes back with steelhead starting to show up on the river, basically keeps you busy the whole year, unless you just want to stay inside during the winter. For sockeye, fisheries keep an eye on the returns and sometimes they would open it only for a few days only, but during that time red spring are still running so you just cant keep the sockeye but you can keep the spring, most of the species will overlap each other during their run, so you can't stop. and it depends also on the area you fish.
Wow, that rocks!

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:25 am

Thanks for the calander. I will end up making a small cheat sheet so i remember. Awsome info =D>

finebar4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finebar4 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:39 am

daiwa lunatic wrote:
Thank you for the schedule, this is fantastic. Makes me want that territory that much more.