Mattlures Deadtwitch swimbait

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Mattlures Deadtwitch swimbait

Post by beezy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:11 pm

For those of you who have this swimbait, what rod are you currently throwing this 13" beauty on? I recently got one from a member on another forum and would like to see what rods people are using to heave this lure that is almost 1 POUND. :shock:

Anyways, looking forward to your replies. :D

Joey
Angler
Angler

Re: Mattlures Deadtwitch swimbait

Post by Joey » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:52 am

Sounds like a lot of people are using an 867/908 dobyns, XXH LDC, or one of the St Croix Big Dawg musky rods.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:18 am

Joey wrote:Sounds like a lot of people are using an 867/908 dobyns, XXH LDC, or one of the St Croix Big Dawg musky rods.
I've read the 867 may not be enough so I ordered the 908 last night from The Hook Up Tackle. The LDC was my other option but I'm so happy with my 867 that it just made more sense to go 908. Plus it was on sale and didn't want to wait on a customs rod since I think 9ft plus makes the most sense. Although, Musky rods probably make the most sense. Gonna need a sedative the first time I chuck that bait and it makes a big explosion on my lake. Things gotta sound like an M80 going off. Lol

dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dcorp » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:18 am

That bait looks amazing, I wish there was some video up somewhere that shows the action. All I have seen is pictures. I was strongly considering buying one but the heaviest rod I have is a Dobyns 807 and I cant justify buying a new rod right now.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:42 am

dcorp wrote:That bait looks amazing, I wish there was some video up somewhere that shows the action. All I have seen is pictures. I was strongly considering buying one but the heaviest rod I have is a Dobyns 807 and I cant justify buying a new rod right now.
Mike Long uses the 867 and states to trust the rod as it loads up. That 807 should have the same or close to the same max weight. Plus, this isn't a bait for overhead casts and I tend to want it closer to me so I can observe fish rising to inspect but not quite ready to commit. Lob cast might be adequate and you could always chuck it with your hand. Done that with big baits in the salt.

I'm seeing this as a potential search bait to eliminate water that doesn't have trophy class fish. Worse case its $60 bucks spent on a lure that shouldn't be hard to resell once the pre-orders are gone. Demand appears to be high and if DD bass start getting caught its going to be harder not wanting to keep it than selling it. Many good reviews from those that have used it as far as follows. Can always turn those follows into catches with a Senko or typical backup lure.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:13 pm

thanks for the replies guys. I actually purchased one of these yesterday and threw it today on my Okuma 7'11 XH rod rated 2-10 oz and although it overloads the rod, it is still castable. I was seriously casting the lure out with not much problem.

dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dcorp » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:42 pm

Oh great..... I think you guys just cost me $60, lol.

trav
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by trav » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:34 pm

dcorp wrote:That bait looks amazing, I wish there was some video up somewhere that shows the action. All I have seen is pictures. I was strongly considering buying one but the heaviest rod I have is a Dobyns 807 and I cant justify buying a new rod right now.

There was a video on swimbait nation uploaded today. There is also a video in the "Fishing Report" section of someone getting a 10lb striper on one

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Based on the video at SBN, the 807 may not be capable. I'm glad I got my 908. This bait looks so real.

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:25 am

That bait looks like a LOG floating in the water.... :lol:

Let us know how u do Garriga!

That is a serioously monster-sized bait.
And I thought 3:16's 10 inchers were monsters.. :lol:

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:23 pm

Gblaze wrote:That bait looks like a LOG floating in the water.... :lol:

Let us know how u do Garriga!

That is a serioously monster-sized bait.
And I thought 3:16's 10 inchers were monsters.. :lol:
Glad I got the 908. Only been out with it once but that's enough to sell me on how realistic this thing is. Still figuring out how to best use it and hoping others can contribute their successful formula.