huddleston grass minnow

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

huddleston grass minnow

Post by NJ Jigman » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:12 pm

Does anyone have experience w/ the little hudd grass minnow. I picked a few up to try next year was wondering how and when they'd be most productive. Thanks in advance.

dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: huddleston grass minnow

Post by dcorp » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:31 am

I have a few, they are great little baits although I seem to do better on the Hudd Weedless shad. If you havent tried the weedless shad you should get some...
As far as the grass minnow I fish it with a medium retrieve and twitch my rod tip from time to time (like you may fish a fluke). Twitching the rod really brings it to life. It's extremely weedless so I fish it near or in cover like grass, docks or branches. You can also let it sink and bounce it off the bottom. I caught a lot of fish last year by ripping it through weeds then letting it sink. I would get bit while the bait was sinking or right after I would jerk the rod.
Just go out there and see what they want, but fish it with confidence because that bait does catch fish.

flaswimbaiter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by flaswimbaiter » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:21 pm

+1 on the weedless shad. They just plain get bit.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Wed May 08, 2013 3:15 am

NJ Jigman wrote:Does anyone have experience w/ the little hudd grass minnow. I picked a few up to try next year was wondering how and when they'd be most productive. Thanks in advance.
The Grass Minnow doesn't look like much but it's actually a pretty cool bait. You can fish a wide range of speeds and it will stay stable until you get to a fast burn. It jerks to the side like a soft jerkbait too!

I fished it once then put it away for a few months because it didn't look very "fishy." Shows how much I know, I tried it again a week ago and the fish were all over it!

Caught this weird looking bass on it too :D

11kalnmitc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 11kalnmitc » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:06 am

I haven't done great on them with a straight retrieve however i have done pretty well flipping and pitching it into cover and slowly bouncing it back. This post is giving me the idea to start throwing it again since i haven't thrown it since last summer. :D

holden234
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by holden234 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:53 pm

I have used both the grass minnow and the weedless shad. I use them on a deep clear TVA reservoir where there is really no need for them to be weedless. I think it is more the size and action of the bait. I have caught quite a few LM and a few SM on the weedless shad. I have not thrown the 3" minnow as much and have only caught a couple of fish on them.

The shad will definitely catch fish and is a great bait. Sometimes just a slow retrieve other times a fast retrieve and at others fish it like a fluke or sluggo. It varies from time to time. But these baits I feel are well worth the money and the time spent you fish with them.

I plan on fishing the minnow more but I feel it will catch fish also especially SM.