What would you do if you caught something unexpected

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

What would you do if you caught something unexpected

Post by angry john » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:32 pm

Fishing in a lot of different area's i find that i wonder what i would do if i hooked something unexpected. Down south you might latch into a gator or up in the north east a giant snapping turtle. Slow fish looking swim-baits are likely to have these issues. What would you do??? Keep in mind some of these things are supper expensive take 3:16's for example.
An if have any crazy pics dealing with one of these issues please share!!!!! :doh:

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What would you do if you caught something unexpected

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:36 pm

Messing with gators can get you $3k fine and snapping turtles make good soup. :lol:

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:07 pm

Depends on the fish. If its a $30 bait I'm landing any fish or animal. I had to get a megabass bait from a mallard once. He didn't have a good time. Lol.

Scott F
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scott F » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:17 pm

This picture is kinda blurry, but you can see the big snapping turtle that tried to eat a 5 1/2" super shap rap. It wasn't too hard getting the bait back. I had a big pair of pliers, and heavy line.

flaswimbaiter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by flaswimbaiter » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:48 pm

Gators are only a problem if you are not paying attention, they only hit on the surface. I lost a punker to one at night because I didnt look first. Sharks are my biggest concern. :shock:

Besides that i have hooked an assortment of birds and turtles, it was not easy, but i got my lure back each time.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:26 pm

Heck yea nice pic. That's what I was expecting from someone in the south. I have had a few turtles, and snappers are not a joke when there large, but dealing with a gator would be a whole new game. The punker would get bit a lot like you said. How was the fight???

TheDarkKnight
Angler
Angler

Post by TheDarkKnight » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:14 pm

I've had juvenile gators attack my husky jerk rapala ,topwater frogs, even bobbers while fishing with shiners... I made sure to get my rapala back using the longest dehooker I have and we both came away unscathed.

Also , several years ago, I had hooked and released a blue heron. Dealing with him was a major pain in the @$$ . I was shiner fishing, and while I wasn't paying attention he had stalked and speared my shiner. When I realized what had happened, I tried to yank the bait away from him to prevent him from swallowing it and the hook ended up catching a wing on the ricochet. I hauled him in to free him but he constantly tried to take off and also attempted to spear me a few times . I ended up cutting the line as close to the hook as possible and let him fly away.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:24 am

Seagulls and Pelicans are always fun to unhook.

flaswimbaiter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by flaswimbaiter » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:27 am

GARRIGA wrote:Seagulls and Pelicans are always fun to unhook.
I would rather face a gator than a pelican. :lol:

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:53 pm

I caught a monster snapping turtle on homemade jig. turtle was nearly 3ft in diameter its head was the size of my 2 fists together. thought i had a state record