Direct tie or snap for swimbaits

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Direct tie or snap for swimbaits

Post by angry john » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:29 pm

Do you tie directly tie your leader to the swim bait or use a snap? I was considering treating it like a crankbait and use a snap, but i am open to suggestions. I normally tie directly with the soft bodies i have used but i am getting a jointed hardbait.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Direct tie or snap for swimbaits

Post by Cal » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:26 pm

angry john wrote:... but i am getting a jointed hardbait.
Most hard baits swim differently tied direct vs using a snap (assuming there isn't already a split ring on the line tie of the bait) ... so I'd suggest trying it both ways and watching the bait's action in the water and choosing whichever action you (or the fish) likes the best. Just make sure you're using a stout snap if you do.

I fish them both ways.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:19 am

OWNER Hyper Welded Quick Snap - Smaller profile (shorter) than typical snaps with a wide radius bend for more bait action. Welded for additional strength. Stainless.

This is the snap that i plan on using. I have the 46lb rated version, and it has a larger loop which should not hinder the action. I chose these because they did not have a swivel which would add more weight to the front of the bait and cause it to be front heavy. I have not seen very many reports good or bad on this product!

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:16 pm

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:52 am

Cal wrote:
angry john wrote:... but i am getting a jointed hardbait.
Most hard baits swim differently tied direct vs using a snap (assuming there isn't already a split ring on the line tie of the bait) ... so I'd suggest trying it both ways and watching the bait's action in the water and choosing whichever action you (or the fish) likes the best. Just make sure you're using a stout snap if you do.

I fish them both ways.
So far i like using a snap on the hard jointed baits and direct tie on the soft baits. The hard baits seem to have better or more action on the snap, and the soft baits do not seem to change. Maybe the soft baits have enough weight and mass to stabilize themselves. The jointed baits seem to move threw the entire lure while the soft just the tail moves. I have only fished 6" baits but so far this looks to be true. I also direct tie swim jigs. I take the split ring off the hard baits, seems like an extra component that may fail or rust. The owner snaps are stainless so i dont worry about those.

SwimbaitsatLMV
Angler
Angler

Post by SwimbaitsatLMV » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:38 pm

Ditch the snap, put on a split ring. A snap will fail fail a helluva lot faster than a split ring. I tie to a #5 split ring on 7oz baits no problem. Snaps have always disintegrated on me.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:04 am

Doesn't get more secure or free movement than a Tuna ring and split combo. The one thing I plan to change is upgrading the Tuna ring to the Profish Magnum Ring Grommet which provide a better knot connection for the main line/leader. Just carry a good set of split ring pliers and the connection is one less thing to be concerned with.

C0BRA
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C0BRA » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:15 am

GARRIGA wrote:Doesn't get more secure or free movement than a Tuna ring and split combo. The one thing I plan to change is upgrading the Tuna ring to the Profish Magnum Ring Grommet which provide a better knot connection for the main line/leader. Just carry a good set of split ring pliers and the connection is one less thing to be concerned with.
This is the method I use. Some say its more complicated, but it takes me about 6 seconds longer for a superior connection. :lol:

james123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by james123 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:48 pm

I always use snap for lures.
EAsy to change lures.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:10 am

I ordered some Decoy snaps but they are hard to open and close because of their small size and the way it's configured. I've just ordered some Tactical Angler clips many use in surf fishing which makes for very quick on and off to try them out. Spro also has clips with similar function to the TA but I need to get those in a larger size to try them out. In the end I may just continue with the Tune Ring and Split Ring combo plus a good set of Texas Tackle Split Ring Pliers.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:47 pm

GARRIGA wrote:I ordered some Decoy snaps but they are hard to open and close because of their small size and the way it's configured. I've just ordered some Tactical Angler clips many use in surf fishing which makes for very quick on and off to try them out. Spro also has clips with similar function to the TA but I need to get those in a larger size to try them out. In the end I may just continue with the Tune Ring and Split Ring combo plus a good set of Texas Tackle Split Ring Pliers.
Same here haha. When ordering Decoys order a size or two up from what you think you need. I gave mine away because they are tiny and difficult to open and close as mentioned. Nicely built however.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:02 am

i_am_R2 wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:I ordered some Decoy snaps but they are hard to open and close because of their small size and the way it's configured. I've just ordered some Tactical Angler clips many use in surf fishing which makes for very quick on and off to try them out. Spro also has clips with similar function to the TA but I need to get those in a larger size to try them out. In the end I may just continue with the Tune Ring and Split Ring combo plus a good set of Texas Tackle Split Ring Pliers.
Same here haha. When ordering Decoys order a size or two up from what you think you need. I gave mine away because they are tiny and difficult to open and close as mentioned. Nicely built however.
These were the #5 which I believe are the biggest. May be I need to loosen them a bit. Many seem to like them for throwing big baits so it could be I haven't figured out how. Hopefully the TA solve my ever ending quest for a quick and effective snap.

deepblack
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by deepblack » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:37 am

Ok, so i must admit that I brought my first swimbait this week hence why I am looking at this section of the forum. However, I do know something about eliminating weak links in tackle and considering the money that gets forked out for swimbaits there is no way I would use a snap or a split ring for that matter. More links equals more weak points the fish may find so I only ever tie to the tow point via a Leftys' loop unless it is pressed steel that could produce a sharp edge and then I use a Decoy split ring. Any other connection is a convenience rather than the way it should be done in my opinion. I lost the fish of a lifetime due to a failed snap about 5 years back and haven't used them since.
Cheers,
John.

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:00 am

Hey Garriga-
wondering what you found ???

NICE knot btw - as a former surgeon I know a good knot when i see it and the one pictured above is nearly perfect

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:21 am

Braid makes knot tying easy. Lol. Still trying to master mono. :(

I found the tactical anglers and they look to be awesome for the surf but too big for a stealth approach. Seems like the strongest convenient connection that provides the most free moving action is going to be the Hyper Wire Spilt Ring 2 Tuna Ring. Tuna Rings come in various size and I'm just going to get a bunch of different packs and use the smallest that will accommodate the appropriate Split Ring based on the lure I'm throwing. Going to treat it like any system and seek the smallest stealthiest package that doesn't compromise strength. The Split Ring is the weakest link so work from there and just carry some Texas Instrument Split Ring Pliers. Those have the knotch on the tip that makes the action super easy.

Although, when in doubt or surrounded by heavy vegetation, it appears that direct tie is the best way to go.