REEL: Shimano Chronarch 50Mg ?

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
T Dot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

REEL: Shimano Chronarch 50Mg ?

Post by T Dot » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:52 am

LINK:
- http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimano ... h50mg.html

i have the above reel in mind for swimbaits. the main reason for this choice is the weight, with recent shoulder and eblow problems, i think the reduced weight will be most benificial to my injuries.

i have small hands, and this reel almost fits perfectly in my palm.

does anyone have anything to comment?

:)

thanks
T Dot

Lucas
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: REEL: Shimano Chronarch 50Mg ?

Post by Lucas » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:38 am

I don't know anything about the reel but it doesn't look like it will hold enough line. Not to mention, even though it is a light, 5.9 ounces, it may be too light to balance out your setup (not sure what rod you're going to use) and that may end up causing fatigue.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:18 am

I dont have that exact reel, but I used my tricked out scorpion MG, SICs, 85MM ZPI handle and I spooled it up with 17lb line this weekend to throw Matts baby bass and it seemed to handle it well enough to where I'm going to keep the reel on for that bait and the blue gill series. I prob wouldnt use it for other baits that create a lot of drag in the water, but with some of the plastic lures I think it does well. 8-)
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

T Dot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by T Dot » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:01 pm

skeeterboy77 wrote:I dont have that exact reel, but I used my tricked out scorpion MG, SICs, 85MM ZPI handle and I spooled it up with 17lb line this weekend to throw Matts baby bass and it seemed to handle it well enough to where I'm going to keep the reel on for that bait and the blue gill series. I prob wouldnt use it for other baits that create a lot of drag in the water, but with some of the plastic lures I think it does well. 8-)
how long have you used this reel, and how do you like it so far? any problems with the drag not being strong enough?

how do you like the spool, and how often do you have to put new line? most have statd that the spool does not hold enough line.

thanks
T Dot

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:09 am

Ive used the reel for this app for about a month and it works for now. I just tighten the drag all the way down and it seems to be fine for the size bass Ive been catching with the baits. Im going to be upgrading the drag here soon to see if that helps any. I dont know how far other guys throw their baits, but line Cap seems to be fine as well and If I need more ill step down to 14lb yo hybrid or sunline if I need too, but I havent so far. :lol: Its not my number 1 choice for throwing most swimbaits, but for what I have it works for now. :evil22:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

T Dot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by T Dot » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:01 pm

skeeterboy77 wrote:Ive used the reel for this app for about a month and it works for now. I just tighten the drag all the way down and it seems to be fine for the size bass Ive been catching with the baits. Im going to be upgrading the drag here soon to see if that helps any. I dont know how far other guys throw their baits, but line Cap seems to be fine as well and If I need more ill step down to 14lb yo hybrid or sunline if I need too, but I havent so far. :lol: Its not my number 1 choice for throwing most swimbaits, but for what I have it works for now. :evil22:
how are you going to upgrade the drag system? how much is it going to cost?

what will the drag specs be at when you complete the upgrade?

thanks
T Dot

Centipede
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Centipede » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:05 am

I've had one for about a year. I use it for light baits and I have it on a CBR781. It is excellent in that role for me.

As for swimbaits, it depends. What swimbaits do you have in mind? I've thrown the Storm 3" Wildeye on it. I don't think it would have much of an issue with large baits on a big rod.

The one thing I HATE about that reel is the drag slips when running the boat or just if you have it in the truck from the bouncing of the bait. I have the drag cranked down and still it slips.

Just my $.02

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:28 am

how are you going to upgrade the drag system? how much is it going to cost?

what will the drag specs be at when you complete the upgrade?

thanks[/quote]

Im just going to add some Carbontex drag washers about 8 bucks maybe and some time to install.
As for drag specs I havent tested it yet, But I will since I have another MH with Smoooth drag washers in it already. As for the reel its not my first choice, but I dont really throw SwBs that much anyway.
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

bigpapajim
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bigpapajim » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:44 am

Get A BBS instead. It will handle the bigger baits too.