Okuma Big Bait Rod 7'6" Med Hvy - Opinions

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Lucas
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Okuma Big Bait Rod 7'6" Med Hvy - Opinions

Post by Lucas » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:56 am

I already have the 7'11" Heavy action Okuma Big Bait rod and I really like it. I have been tossing around the idea of adding the 7'6" MH rod to the arsenal. I plan to use this rod for throwing 4" - 6" Mission Fish, Huddie Shads, MattLures Baby Bass, basically smaller swimbaits. I don't think any of that would be a problem though I'm wondering that it might be a little on the heavy side for the Hudd Shads as they are pretty light. The light end of the rod is rated 1/2 oz. I'm wondering if this is right on, a little heavy or a little light compared to what the rod can really throw. I'm also wondering if I could kill two birds with one stone and also use this rod a a "flipping stick".

Let me know what you guys think.

LOBINAKING
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Okuma Big Bait Rod 7'6" Med Hvy - Opinions

Post by LOBINAKING » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:06 pm

Hi Lucas;

I have that rod, it is perfect for all the baits that you mention except for the Huddle Shads, these are way too light for this stick. I'm currently using mine for Mattlures, Shellcrackers, Mission Fish to 7", Rago Rats, Triple Trouts to 7" and 3:16 Wake Jrs. and it's perfect.

I would summarize by saying that it will work well for baits up to 7". I wouldn't recommend it for flipping though as it's a bit on the heavy side.

Good Luck!
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Lubina
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lubina » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:54 pm

I use it as my light SB rod and pretty much I share what tocayo Lobinaking said. The rod is good up to 3 oz, after that the tip can't keep up, I tried with my BBZ1 at 4.5 oz and I was afraid I would brake also casting distance was very compromised. I'm otherwise very happy with the rod, great customer service, I broke it by negligence and for $14.95 I have a new one in 10 days.

Good luck

Lucas
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lucas » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:42 pm

Thanks, guys. Like I said, I already have the 7'11" Heavy action Okuma which throws pretty much everything I want it to. I guess I'll hold off on the MH. Thanks for the opinions.