How Heavy Does a Swimb8 Rod Need to Be?

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

How Heavy Does a Swimb8 Rod Need to Be?

Post by mhood » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:47 pm

I mean, what does the typical swimb8 weigh? Matt's Baby Bass or Ultimate Bluegill...a Shellcracker? I'm still trying to determine if a 3 oz. upper range on a rod is enough. Thanks.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

arbogastjunkie
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: How Heavy Does a Swimb8 Rod Need to Be?

Post by arbogastjunkie » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:32 pm

I purchased the dobyns 795 ml swimbait rod. It has rating of 1-4 oz. Being a northeast guy, I think this will be plenty. I will be throwing the Matts Ultimate Blue Gills, Baby Bass, and some R2Sea Kongs. I am more than happy to give a review....once the rod comes. I have not heard any word recently, but I think the last estimate was mid october.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:58 pm

mhood wrote:I'm still trying to determine if a 3 oz. upper range on a rod is enough. Thanks.
if 3oz baits are all you're going to throw, then yes... if not, then no.. it's that simple. ;)

do you prefer the chicken or the egg? :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Lucas
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lucas » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:33 am

mhood wrote:I mean, what does the typical swimb8 weigh? Matt's Baby Bass or Ultimate Bluegill...a Shellcracker? I'm still trying to determine if a 3 oz. upper range on a rod is enough. Thanks.
I threw a Mattlures Bluegill on my flippin stick for a couple trips until my swimbait rod arrived. I was able to toss the lure but I found (and this might just be me being a crappy fisherman) I was missing fish cause while the rod could throw the lure, it didn't have the backbone to pull a giant hunk of rubber and effectively set the hook. So while you may be able to toss the lures with said rod, you might being doing yourself a disservice. Also, should you choose to get a dedicated swimbait rod, you will give yourself the opportunity to throw more styles of swimbaits.

Sully
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Sully » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:42 am

It's not always, "can it be thrown on a rod?", many times it's, "How well is it thrown on a rod?"

I could throw my bbz on my H rated to 6 oz...But I throw it on my XH rated to 10oz. If I spent a day throwing it on my H I wouldn't be able to get out of bed the next morning. More work from your rod = less effort and energy form the angler.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:01 pm

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out what the various SB8s weigh. I finally saw that a Shellcracker weighs 3.5 oz. but it seems that the SB8 Industry by and large doesn't report weights. That makes it hard to settle on a rod. I'm hoping to find a two piece rod that is worthy but nobody....and I mean NOBODY is making one. It seems that the reel I bought for SB8s (Calcutta DC250) is too light and that the one two piece SB8 rod I found (a Major Craft Days DC-732X 3/8-3oz) is too light. Fishing with a broom stick and a winch really doesn't appeal to me at all. This is all pretty confusing... :?
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:00 pm

marc.... how about just getting a swimbait rod XX-XXX H that is under 7ft. I know it defies conventional thought , but there are a few that could handle 1-3oz and get you in the game, and accomadate your rod locker. I also think knowing your style of fishing more enjoyable to you. I initially got caught up in seeking the 8ft sticks, and huge 5-8oz baits, but just was not digging it. I scaled back to rods/reels and swimbaits I was comfortable with, could catch fish consistently with , and still enjoy the craze somewhat. Also, consider some of the JDM XXX H sticks longer than 7ft rated to 4 oz utilizing the grip installation system. They might fit in your locker as well, I forget how big your rod locker is.

For baits Gancraft Jointed Claws, OSA, s-songs is about all I throw anymore. I got huge confidence in the baits, and they catch fish. I also do not need a 8ft rod to throw them. :lol:

bpm2000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bpm2000 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:13 pm

i think if you want a 2pc you are going to have to find a blank and get a custom made. thats the route i went after searching far and wide for a 2pc swimbait rod.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:38 pm

GamblerHydra wrote:marc.... how about just getting a swimbait rod XX-XXX H that is under 7ft. They might fit in your locker as well, I forget how big your rod locker is.

6'11" is it without bending. Can you verify that a MB F8-78DG Super Destruction 78XX is in fact a telescopic rod? If it's built like my Destroyer F7-711X (telescopic), it will collapse into the rod locker just fine. I was hoping to find a two piece so it would fit in the Jetta's trunk for trips to Padre Island. All I could find was the Major Craft Days DC-732X (3/8-3oz.) I guess it would work if I stuck to the smaller <3oz. SB8s...and you're right, I'd probably enjoy fishing the small side of the SB8 craze anyway. Thanks.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

BillyBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BillyBass » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:05 pm

Mhood,

I'm having the same problem, but, I ran onto the Major Craft Arrival Side Seven, it goes to 4 ounces, I was looking at the 7' XX, I think there was a 7'2" or 7'3" also though, that was on Plat, good luck.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:23 pm

mhood wrote:Can you verify that a MB F8-78DG Super Destruction 78XX is in fact a telescopic rod?
Suffering from CRS Mhood? LOL ... i gave you the collapsed dimension on that rod at some point. I THINK it was 6'10" or 6'11" ... i forget... i do remember it was right at the limit of your locker though.

A rod like the Balista, with the removeable handle section will fit in your rod locker, but you won't be able to stow it rigged. That's the only problem.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Florian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Florian » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:13 am

mhood wrote: It seems that the reel I bought for SB8s (Calcutta DC250) is too light and..
Don't be silly Marc a 250 size Shimano is more than enough to throw any size swimbait. In Germany we use a lot of 200 and 250 size Shimanos for Pikefishing with heavy lures up to 10oz and they seriously handle it well even over a long period of time.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:25 am

Florian wrote:Don't be silly Marc

You sound like my wife. I've been cruising the swimb8 sites and checking out the swimb8 reel reviews and threads and I haven't seen the DC250 mentioned even once. Lots of talk about the Calcutta 300 & 400 and the Curado 300 and BBS but nothing about the DC250.

I'm going to take Gambler's advice and focus on the <3oz. swimb8s. I'll leave the 36 oz. 18" super trouts to those cali guys and their farm fed bass. ;)
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

RobRaven1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RobRaven1 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:43 am

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:57 am

Thanks Rob...gr8 find. What a good price too. I'm reading all I can about the Graphiteleader Bosco sticks right now.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker