Goin Swimbait fishing

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
JustinNJ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Goin Swimbait fishing

Post by JustinNJ » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:03 pm

going to monksville reports later

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Goin Swimbait fishing

Post by davej » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:15 pm

Hey Justin how did you make out at skunksville.. I haven't fished there yet but it looks so awesome (the huge tree and stump fields) I know a lot of guys struggle there.. however I have never heard any reports on our local NJ Bass sites of any guys throwing swimbaits there..

I fished a local Reservoir for Hybrids last night.. (the Res is Restricted to shore fishing only) We saw them busting bait balls of Gizzard Shad but they were pretty far past our max casting distance. I was throwing the Baby Wake the whole time just hoping I can get one to peel off the shad and come in closer.. The action on the bait was a mini version of the Wake Jr.. tighter tail swimming action and a little softer clacking noise. I actually took the spilt ring off the front.. if you look at it closely you can see were they are factory cut it leaves a pretty shard edge and I was worried if my knot slip around the ring to the split it could possible get cut by that sharp edge.. I also tried with and without a snap.. I noticed I could be a bit more erratic with the twitching and jerking it from a dead stick without it fouling as much.. I really didn't notice much of a difference with or without a snap in the swimming action.

After 3hrs of tossing this bait as far as I could not one paint, cracking, rubbing etc... issues.. the thing is a tank..

There was two other guys that regularly fish there for them and they were throwing castmaster and some topwater poppers without a bite either.. .

DJ

JustinNJ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JustinNJ » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:04 pm

had a muskie fallow but thats it

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:34 am

JustinNJ wrote:had a muskie fallow but thats it
yeah That is a tough place at times.. so were you fishing from shore? What were you throwing? How were you working it etc...

JustinNJ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JustinNJ » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:48 am

yea, from shore. parked behind some old house just past the bridge. was throwing some of my dads smaller muskie lures in bass or perch color. worked either slow or erratic

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:48 am

don't get discouraged that is a tough place to fish even from a boat.. Stick with it..

JustinNJ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JustinNJ » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:47 pm

yea, its tough, but this week i think ill spend some time at rockland lake and this weekend twins lake in ct, wont be doing much swimbait fishing but ill give it a couple casts