Jerry Rago Hitch Hardbait

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Jerry Rago Hitch Hardbait

Post by davej » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:29 pm

all i can say is what a disapointment. First the bait came broken in the package(the broken piece was still in the package). I sent it back with no issues and got a replacemnt in perfect condition. The first and only time the bait was on the water (after only a few casts) they bait breaks in the same exact spot again... it's hard to tell from the picture but look how thin the splits in the tail section. for $60.00 I expected much more.. What is happening to this Guys Quality? First those Rago Real Trouts and now it seem to cross to his hard baits.. I own 7 of his baits (5 hard baits and 2 soft baits) I really hope this issue is not common among the other 4 hard baits

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Jerry Rago Hitch Hardbait

Post by SPAZ » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:14 pm

That sucks man. Hopefully they will replace this one for you without any issues.

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:19 pm

spiroh wrote:That sucks man. Hopefully they will replace this one for you without any issues.
I'm not even going to bother unless they will give me my money back.. It happen twice in a row at the same exact spot.. coincidence or a poorly designed/constructed bait??? I have my answer..

Lubina
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lubina » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:14 pm

Thanks Dave for posting this.....
I was ready to order a few from them....man that was very close

Sully
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Sully » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:03 pm

Nice pics

You can add me to the list of "Was going to buy, but not now."

What do you think happened Dave? It looks like it could be from a "tail entry" into the water. Unfortunately that's how it usually lands huh? And have you seen this similar failure in other threads or boards?

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:16 pm

Lubina wrote:Thanks Dave for posting this.....
I was ready to order a few from them....man that was very close
That is what this forum is all about.... inside info, new baits, various techniques, the good, the bad, the ugly truth etc. when it comes to swimbait fishing.. for me at least I can't go to the store and check these baits out in person, I can't call my buddy down the street and ask him what he thinks about them or to try his first before I buy since its so new here in NJ.. so we have to learn the hard way (expensive way) for some reason a lot of info is kept hush hush among some swimbait guys and these baits being so new to us and expensive hopefully this forum will help a few people not make the same mistakes.. Ultimately the fly by night companies won't last and the ones that do will have to be held accountable for $50+ crappy baits..

I can't be the only one that has bought POS swimbaits.. anybody elese have the same experience start a thread and maybe save a member here the same fate..

DJ

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:54 pm

Sully wrote:Nice pics

You can add me to the list of "Was going to buy, but not now."

What do you think happened Dave? It looks like it could be from a "tail entry" into the water. Unfortunately that's how it usually lands huh? And have you seen this similar failure in other threads or boards?
hey Bud.. No I haven't seen any reviews good or bad on any other boards regarding the hitch..

1) I think the side walls of the last section (3rd body section) are very thin and brittle.. Hell one broke in shipping, the loose piece was still in the box..

2) The tail has a bit of room to move up and down but very very little room to move side to side and the force of the bait hitting the water must have cracked it..

I just looked at the 6" quad raptor and it has a little thicker side walls and the opening gives the tail slightly more side to side movement.. I also looked at my 8" quad raptor and the side walls look even thicker.. I really hope this doesn't happen with those. Put it this way I'm glad my Baby Tool and Super raptor have a totally different design with soft plastic tails..

Lucas
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lucas » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:57 am

That's a shame. I was looking to get a 6" quad raptor but I think I'll hold off and wait for the new, 6" Castaic hardbait.

leo33
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leo33 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:47 pm

looks familiar.
Attachments
DSCN1075.JPG
DSCN1075.JPG (47.99 KiB) Viewed 5233 times

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:47 pm

That sucks leo...well hopefully as we share these experiences we can save the members from making the same mistake..

I look forward to post of your positive experiences from your swimbait adventures...

Mattlures
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mattlures » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:56 am

I know, I know, you shouldnt have to but......
If you guys pour plastics you could make a smiple mold of that tail piece and make a soft plastic tail and glue it on. Or you could find a cheap bait that has a similar soft tail and cut it off and glue it on. I know Rago had similar problems with his original Raptors. I believe they are made with aluminum tails now. The tail on that bait reminds me of some Japanese baits I have seen with splitrings in the joint. Another fix would be to unscrew the screw that is holding in the eye screw that is attatched to the tail. Now atatch a large split ring to the eye screw and turn the eye screw one half turn. Now put the split ring in the slot and srew in the screw through the split ring. This should let the tail flop around more and not put pressure on the weak spot.

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:20 pm

Mattlures wrote:I know, I know, you shouldnt have to but......
If you guys pour plastics you could make a smiple mold of that tail piece and make a soft plastic tail and glue it on. Or you could find a cheap bait that has a similar soft tail and cut it off and glue it on. I know Rago had similar problems with his original Raptors. I believe they are made with aluminum tails now. The tail on that bait reminds me of some Japanese baits I have seen with splitrings in the joint. Another fix would be to unscrew the screw that is holding in the eye screw that is attatched to the tail. Now atatch a large split ring to the eye screw and turn the eye screw one half turn. Now put the split ring in the slot and srew in the screw through the split ring. This should let the tail flop around more and not put pressure on the weak spot.
Thank you for the tips... luckily I had just purchased this bait and the company I bought it from is willing to eat it and give me my money back...

think I'm going to try that with the 6" quad raptor of his I just got as I fear that will break next (however I'm a head of the game since I used it once already and it's still intact)