Swimbait Rod????

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Swimbait Rod????

Post by Tigerbass » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:34 am

OK....swimbaits seem to be the hot item and of course swimbait specific rods seem to be popping up from all of the manufacturers. I've never fished a swimbait so I have several questions regarding appropriate rods:

1. I know swimbait rods are generally long and heavy or x-heavy power, but what are the actions? Somewhat moderate so as to not pull treble hooks out?

2. Can a flipping stick be used as a good/decent swimbait rod for small to medium (1 - 3oz ?) swimbaits? Or are the actions too fast?

3. OK, here's the tough one....I would like to find a rod that is approximately 7'-6" that can be used for the small/medium swimbaits, c-rig & football head jigs (approx. 1oz), and medium cover flipping (wood and sparse grass)!!! I would prefer great sensitivity for the contact baits. Does such a rod exist or am I asking for too much?

I would prefer domestic (loomis,kistler, dobyns, powell,etc.) but am considering a JDM stick sometime in the future anyway.
Last edited by Tigerbass on Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishin'vince
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Swimbait Rod????

Post by fishin'vince » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:21 pm

the action on swimbaits rods are moderate to moderate fast with soft, sensitive tips that band into the mid section of the rod. flipping sticks do not make good swimbait rods. the action is not right. i would recommend a daiwa heartland rod. they are very versatile and value priced. here's a link http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage ... AHSCR.html. this was originally designed for salmon fishing. i have the 7'9" rod. its great for smaller swimbaits, big crankbaits, c-rigs and frogs. i don't flip much, but it would be a decent rod for that.

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:51 pm

Consider an Okuma rod in the MH power. Excellent, moderately priced rod with an above average warranty.

Dan

Sledgehammer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Sledgehammer » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:31 pm

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried a fiberglass rod for swimbaits. I only plan on throwing ones in the 1 - 1 1/4 range and thought it might work. Anyone tried it?

Golferpimp1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Golferpimp1 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:03 pm

Dobyns makes some great swimbait rods. A few to try out
for smaller swimbaits, up to about 1.5 ounches id use the Champion 735c, Have heard great things about this rod, ill have one on order soon!
and for larger swimbaits, up to near 4 ounces, id give the Champion 795ml a shot. There are several other swimbaits rods out there, but for quality and price, these are both great deals! If you were looking for a lower end swimbait rod, the Okuma will work, have heard good things about it, but for 70 or so more dollars, hook up with the dobyns. For what your asking in a rod (swimbait, footballhead, and Crig), I think the 735c fits the bill~

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:11 pm

Golferpimp1

I don't like golf nor pimps but your rod choices are impeccable.

:D

best regards, T
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

Lubina
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lubina » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:59 am

Lightninrod wrote:Consider an Okuma rod in the MH power.
I use it for all my small lures, up to 3 oz, great rod. I recently broke mine during an act of stupidity, for $ 14.95 I got anther one at my door, no questions asked.

leo33
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leo33 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:25 am

shimano crucial 7'11" H.$149 with a life time over the counter warranty. ;)

BillyBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BillyBass » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:27 am

Sorry to Threadjack, but, shouldn't the action of the rod be different If you only plan on throwing Open hook model swimbaits, especially the ones with Weedguards, not saying I'd never try one with trebles, however, I don't plan on it at this moment, thanks.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:24 am

Thanks for the help everyone. I've read good things about the okumas and I'm really thinking about trying a Dobyns or Powell rod. I think my eventual solution would be to get one rod for swimbaits with moderate/mod-fast action and a second rod for footballheads/c-rigs and light flippin & pitching.

Billybass, I would think that you are correct in that you would want a moderate action rod for the swimbaits with treble hooks and a fast action for single hook or weedless type baits.

flukemstr
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by flukemstr » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:11 pm

I'd go with one of the Mike Long Swimbait Rods by Dobyns. With those two guys putting their heads together to make a rod you know it's got to be awesome.

bigfish2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bigfish2 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:29 pm

Can the dobyns ML rod handle the 316 wake baits, armageddon tool etc?
or is it better suited for the smaller baits

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:57 pm

bigfish2 wrote:Can the dobyns ML rod handle the 316 wake baits, armageddon tool etc?
or is it better suited for the smaller baits
Here is the specs on the Gary Dobyns Bass Rod 795 ML SB
7'9", 1pc, 15-30lb, 1-4oz, Med/Hvy Fast Action Mike Long Swimbait Casting Rod

Shinerking
Angler
Angler

Post by Shinerking » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:44 pm

The Crucial 7'11 Heavy action swimbait rod is a GREAT all around rod. I use it for the MattLure Ultimate Gills for the most part. I have also used it for pitching a 3/4 - 1 oz jig. Great rod! I happened to break my Medium heavy 7'11 Crucial the first week I had it (stepped on it) and sent it back. I had a new one in less than a week! I feel the rods are hearty rods built too last, unlike alot of these new, overnight rod companies that won't be around in a few years. Go with the a Crucial!

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:24 pm

I think your going to want different actions depending on the type of baits your throwing. I think your going to want a moderate action stick with a soft tip for the hard baits. The softbait single hook baits your going to want something faster and stiffer.

I see a lot of people on all the SWB boards on the web saying get this rod, or that , but not many people saying what makes that rod the one to pick. I see some of these rods built for SWB are stiff fast action sticks, and I just can not fathom how that is going to be any benefit with hard baits. The soft baits yes, but with the hard baits I think you will get better hookups, and keep the fish buttoned with a different choice.

You almost need 2 rods.