Which megabass swimbait rod?

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Which megabass swimbait rod?

Post by SPAZ » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:04 am

I'm having a hard time deciding which rod to go with for Mattlures swimbaits. The lures weigh around 2oz or less. It's between the Mephisto and the White Python. A slant bridge is a must so I'm not considering ones without one. I wanted the Mephisto because it would probably feel lighter than the Python while fishing with swimbaits but the Python is 7'6 so casting distance would be improved. What are your thoughts?

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Which megabass swimbait rod?

Post by Papageno1791 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:27 am

I have fished none of those two rods, but I think that for swimbaits a medium-fast action stick would be better. The Mephisto has fast action and the White Python medium-fast. Moreover, Mattlures recommends using a 7'6'' rod. Considering that, I'd go with the White Python, a 7'6'' rod. But if you want a rod of the Orochi series, you can consider the Super Destruction. A medium-fast action rod in the 7'8'' length. JMHO.
---- Catch & Release -----

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:43 am

Papageno1791 wrote:I have fished none of those two rods, but I think that for swimbaits a medium-fast action stick would be better. The Mephisto has fast action and the White Python medium-fast. Moreover, Mattlures recommends using a 7'6'' rod. Considering that, I'd go with the White Python, a 7'6'' rod. But if you want a rod of the Orochi series, you can consider the Super Destruction. A medium-fast action rod in the 7'8'' length. JMHO.
The only thing about the superdestruction is it isn't one piece and its a F8 power. Wouldn't that be crazy stiff for 2 oz swimbaits?

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:28 am

spiroh wrote:The only thing about the superdestruction is it isn't one piece and its a F8 power. Wouldn't that be crazy stiff for 2 oz swimbaits?
Well, I do not think so if you consider it is not fast or extra-fast action. But if you prefer a 1-piece rod, then the Super Destruction is not an option. But even a F7 rod would be very stiff for a 2 oz lure if the action of the stick is fast, IMO.

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:58 pm

spiroh wrote:The only thing about the superdestruction is it isn't one piece ....
BTW, do you know the "packing" length of the Super Destruction?? Evergreen builds also 2-piece swimbait rods, but actually one piece is the handle and the second one is the blank with the guides. Is the F8-78DG constructed in a similar way or does it split in 2 pieces of equal length?

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:10 pm

Papageno1791 wrote:
spiroh wrote:The only thing about the superdestruction is it isn't one piece ....
BTW, do you know the "packing" length of the Super Destruction?? Evergreen builds also 2-piece swimbait rods, but actually one piece is the handle and the second one is the blank with the guides. Is the F8-78DG constructed in a similar way or does it split in 2 pieces of equal length?
I'm not really sure. I haven't seen one before, sorry.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:34 pm

Our Dark Lord called it "telescopic"...just like my F7-711X. The seven eleven collapses from nearly 8' down to a little over 6'. It does not separate into two pieces.

BTW, for b8s under 2oz, the 7-11 would be a gr8 rod. When extended, it feels totally like a one piece to me. It also has a nice fast tip and casts very well...I use it for my frog rod and toss weightless 5" Senkos with it.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

superman_36
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by superman_36 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:13 pm

You don't want get one of those rods!!! You might have to reel in one of these small ones :lol:

MontaKen
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MontaKen » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:08 pm

destruction72H for swimbait <3oz (it's a bit stiffer like white python,a bit faster,about same power) http://bassclan.forumcommunity.net/?t=3180828

destruction 74XH for swimbait 2-4,5oz (perfect)

mephisto (like 74XH but faster..not a specific swimbait rod)
Last edited by MontaKen on Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:59 pm

spiroh wrote:I'm having a hard time deciding which rod to go with for Mattlures swimbaits. The lures weigh around 2oz or less. It's between the Mephisto and the White Python. A slant bridge is a must so I'm not considering ones without one. I wanted the Mephisto because it would probably feel lighter than the Python while fishing with swimbaits but the Python is 7'6 so casting distance would be improved. What are your thoughts?
I think you should look at the F8-78DG.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:22 pm

GamblerHydra wrote:I think you should look at the F8-78DG.
Do you think the tip is fast enough to cast 1 - 1.5 oz stuff?
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:42 am

Id go with that White Python probably, its just too tempting. I still am strongly considering the Mephisto for my swimbait needs. I know they say you should have a longer rod but id feel pretty confident with the Mephisto in my hand and know I could get that swimbait out quite a ways with it. Im trying to steer away from Megabass but they have some killer rods that I cant get out my head. I know ill be buying more then the two left I have on my list to buy. :lol:

Good luck with whatever you get Spiroh.

BTW, if your fishing swimbaits for our midwest Smallies (same thing ill be when I get a SB setup) id lean even more toward the Mephisto ;). Hell, I wonder if it could handle our Pike and Musky.. you know theyll just love your swimbait collection. :worried:

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:54 am

GamblerHydra wrote:
spiroh wrote:I'm having a hard time deciding which rod to go with for Mattlures swimbaits. The lures weigh around 2oz or less. It's between the Mephisto and the White Python. A slant bridge is a must so I'm not considering ones without one. I wanted the Mephisto because it would probably feel lighter than the Python while fishing with swimbaits but the Python is 7'6 so casting distance would be improved. What are your thoughts?
GH,

I was leaning towards getting the Python. Any reason why I should go with the F8-78DG over it?

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:59 am

MontaKen wrote:destruction72H for swimbait <2,5oz (it's a bit stiffer like white python,a bit faster,about same power) http://bassclan.forumcommunity.net/?t=3180828

destruction 74XH for swimbait 2-4oz (perfect)

mephisto (like 74XH but faster..not a specific swimbait rod)
Awesome pics. Thanks

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:49 am

spiroh wrote:
GamblerHydra wrote:
GH,

I was leaning towards getting the Python. Any reason why I should go with the F8-78DG over it?
I think eventually you will want to throw some swimbaits like a baby tool 4-4.5 oz. It could also handle heavier I hear. It is so much easier to cast and fish these baits with a longer rod. This is going to be a key even with the 1-1.5 oz baits because you make such a disturbance . I can not see you throwing them a ton were you fish , so I would suggest getting a rod that covers your immediate, and future needs. So that pretty much rules out the mephisto in my mind. Which leaves you with the Python, and the F8-78DG. Here the F8-78DG gets the nod with the extra length, increased lure rating and price. If your not convinced at this point then being a spiral wrapped rod should close the deal. Most of the guys I know that have bought orochi rods, usually end up buying the F8-78DG, and cuss themselves for ever buying the shorter versions.

I am no expert with these sticks by any means. However, I am certain you should at least research and consider the F8-78DG.
Last edited by GamblerHydra on Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.