Which megabass swimbait rod?

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Which megabass swimbait rod?

Post by GamblerHydra » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:59 am

mhood wrote:
GamblerHydra wrote:I think you should look at the F8-78DG.
Do you think the tip is fast enough to cast 1 - 1.5 oz stuff?
It is funny you ask that. It actually was one of the things that stood out to me when researching this stick. That and that sdesign guy is so high on it. They actually bill it to fish baits down to 1/2 oz and even talk about 1-1.5 oz spinnerbaits. With the slant bridge and the way it fishes shorter, I can see some real possibilities outside of swimbaits as well. Plus a spiral wrapped stick for this type of work and size of fish targeted is almost a must. IMHO

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:05 am

GamblerHydra wrote:
spiroh wrote:
GamblerHydra wrote:
spiroh wrote:I'm having a hard time deciding which rod to go with for Mattlures swimbaits. The lures weigh around 2oz or less. It's between the Mephisto and the White Python. A slant bridge is a must so I'm not considering ones without one. I wanted the Mephisto because it would probably feel lighter than the Python while fishing with swimbaits but the Python is 7'6 so casting distance would be improved. What are your thoughts?
I think you should look at the F8-78DG.
GH,

I was leaning towards getting the Python. Any reason why I should go with the F8-78DG over it?
I think eventually you will want to throw some swimbaits like a baby tool 4-4.5 oz. It could also handle hevaier I hear. It is so much easier to cast and fish these baits a longer rod. This is going to be a key even with the 1-1.5 oz baits becuase you make such a disturbance . I can not see you throwing them a ton were you fish , so I would suggest getting a rod that covers your immediate, and future needs. So that pretty much rules out the mephisto in my mind. Which leaves you with the Python, and the F8-78DG. Here the F8-78DG gets the nod with the extra length, increased lure rating and price. If your not convinced at this point then being a spiral wrapped rod should close the deal. Most of the guys I know that have bought orochi rods, usually end up buying the F8-78DG, and cuss themselves for ever buying the shorter versions.
Damn, maybe I should change my order from the Python to the F8-78 then.

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:11 am

spiroh wrote:
GamblerHydra wrote:
spiroh wrote:
GamblerHydra wrote:
spiroh wrote:I'm having a hard time deciding which rod to go with for Mattlures swimbaits. The lures weigh around 2oz or less. It's between the Mephisto and the White Python. A slant bridge is a must so I'm not considering ones without one. I wanted the Mephisto because it would probably feel lighter than the Python while fishing with swimbaits but the Python is 7'6 so casting distance would be improved. What are your thoughts?
I think you should look at the F8-78DG.
GH,

I was leaning towards getting the Python. Any reason why I should go with the F8-78DG over it?
I think eventually you will want to throw some swimbaits like a baby tool 4-4.5 oz. It could also handle heavier I hear. It is so much easier to cast and fish these baits a longer rod. This is going to be a key even with the 1-1.5 oz baits becuase you make such a disturbance . I can not see you throwing them a ton were you fish , so I would suggest getting a rod that covers your immediate, and future needs. So that pretty much rules out the mephisto in my mind. Which leaves you with the Python, and the F8-78DG. Here the F8-78DG gets the nod with the extra length, increased lure rating and price. If your not convinced at this point then being a spiral wrapped rod should close the deal. Most of the guys I know that have bought orochi rods, usually end up buying the F8-78DG, and cuss themselves for ever buying the shorter versions.
Damn, maybe I should change my order from the Python to the F8-78 then.
I am no expert, but I would say just consider it. I know it is hard to fathom but 2 inches makes a world of difference with these big baits. The money you save with the F8-78DG, you could put towards a Jerry Rago baby tool.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:43 am

THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:04 pm

I decided to go with the White Python. I think it will suit my needs just fine and if I have to make adjustments, I will consider the F8-78DG.

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:49 am

spiroh wrote:I decided to go with the White Python. I think it will suit my needs just fine and if I have to make adjustments, I will consider the F8-78DG.
Nice... can't wait to see some pictures with that rod and some of it's catches..