Swimbait Dilemna

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
JayInGrapevine
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Swimbait Dilemna

Post by JayInGrapevine » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:34 pm

So I picked up a bunch of Castaic 6" sunfish today and decided to go play with them at a pond by the house. Wasn't expecting much, just wanted to see how they felt and see what retrieves I could use.
Well, turns out they are amazing. I fish that pond somewhat regularly and catch some decent fish, but I had a half dozen blow ups tonight that almost gave me a heart attack. I'm talking about the bait being blown out of the water, rod almost yanked out of your hands, fishing hitting it like it insulted their mother.
I hooked up with exactly zero of them. Not one. They'd have it in their mouth, I'd feel their weight, but it just wasn't hooking up. To the swimbait gurus: Is there a way to attach a stinger hook to this thing without affecting the action? I was thinking of tying a short length of 65lb braid to the front hook split ring, tying to a #6 treble hook and embedding under the tail, but I'm afraid this will screw up the action. Someone has to have some experience and advice on this.

For reference, here's a picture of the bait.
The action is amazing on them and they work VERY well for a swimbait, but just need a better hook system.

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Swimbait Dilemna

Post by zenbassr » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:44 pm

JayInGrapevine wrote:... Is there a way to attach a stinger hook to this thing without affecting the action? I was thinking of tying a short length of 65lb braid to the front hook split ring...
this method, or variation of, can be sized/scaled to fit the bluegill...

xxlbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Swimbait Dilemna

Post by xxlbass » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:19 pm

I have a better Idea for you. You will hook up with these baits for sure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Swimbaits-Jerry-Rag ... dZViewItem