Swimbait Rod?

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
hawkins014
Angler
Angler

Swimbait Rod?

Post by hawkins014 » Sun May 13, 2007 10:23 pm

What do you think about the G.loomis BBR965C? Is this thing a broomstick or would it be a good choice for an all around swimbait rod?

Thanks,
Chris

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Swimbait Rod?

Post by GAMEOVER » Sun May 13, 2007 10:43 pm

Itd make a nice walking stick :lol:

What weight you wanting to throw around?

hawkins014
Angler
Angler

Post by hawkins014 » Sun May 13, 2007 11:36 pm

Itd make a nice walking stick
That's what I figured. I have a deep sea fishing pole that's rated the same 17-40lb. I'm looking to buy my first swimbait setup and wanted something versatile. The only reason why I'm considering the loomis is because someone is selling it for $180. As to what weight I'll be throwing around, I haven't bought any swimbaits yet so I'm not sure because most websites only give the length of the swimbait and not the weight! What would be considered a 2, 6, or 8 ounce swimbait?

Anyway, I think I've already answered my own question. I think I will be better suited with a lighter swimbait rod.

fishin'vince
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishin'vince » Mon May 14, 2007 12:40 am

most swimbaits in the 8 inch range weigh between 3 to 5 ounces and most swimbaits in the market fall in this range. i'm speaking from a trout imitating standpoint. in so cal, when i'm throwing swimbaits, a trout is what i'm trying to imitate... at 2 oz, you're looking at 6-7 inch lures. 6 oz and up would be 11" and up. lure material determines the weight. soft platic is generally heavier than wood, hardplastic, and synthetic materials.

when you look at rods, you want a rod that has a soft tip to help cast and to avoid pulling the hook from the fish's mouth. you also want a stiff butt section with a lot of backbone to set the giant hooks that swimbaits have. the rod should be at least 7'6", light weight, and well balanced.

as for specific rods, loomis recently came out with a swimbait specific line of rods. not sure on the details, but they have several different weights available. i currently have two rods that i use for swimbaits. a daiwa heartland 7'9" big bait rod. its rated at 2-8 oz lures and i think 12-30 lb. test. it is actually MUCH lighter that its rating but it has really good characteristics for smaller swimbaits and hardbaits up to 4 oz. this one was about $70. i like it a lot. very versatile, but it was originally designed for bottom-bouncing. the second rod i have is an okuma 711H. this is probably the best all around swimbait rod on the market. it'll throw anything from mattlures bluegills to huddlestons and rago real trouts. its rated properly for 1 - 6 oz lures and 15-30 lb. test. this is a true swimbait rod and at $100, its the best rod you can get. okuma has awesome customer service and i'm definately picking up a few more okuma swimbait rods... i havent fished the loomis rods, but i checked them out. they are nice, but not that nice. a buddy of mine just bought one so maybe i'll try it out. i doubt it would make me want to replace my okuma rod though... you might want to check out the new gary dobyns rods. the san diego trophy bass king, mike long, helped develop them. hope this helps.

T Mike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by T Mike » Mon May 14, 2007 1:01 am

I have the 964 that is rated for 1-6 oz. I can tell you this there ain't no way in this world that 964 will throw a 5-6 oz bait and a 4oz bait would be pushing it. I would say the biggest bait you could throw on this rod would be a 8 inch Triple Trout (not a heavy bait by any means) and that would be pushing it. I'm not very pleased with my 964 on versatility based on the ratings.

I do however have 3 of the Dobyns Rods swimbait series designed by Mike Long coming to me. I am very anxious to try them!!

Mike
Dobyns Rods, Lucky Craft, Triple Fish, Bull Shad