Chronarch 100D7 Noise

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Chronarch 100D7 Noise

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:24 am

Typically the yoke doesn't wear on the bearing supported pinion gears. I suppose anything is possible. Noises are tough to diagnose over a forum. It's one of those things if I had it in hand I'm sure its easy to determine what it is. If you were local I would suggest bringing it by for me to take a look at.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chronarch 100D7 Noise

Post by Slazmo » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:47 pm

Used my D7 Chronarch yesterday - paired to a 3-6kg 6'4" - 10lb braid and a 9gr shallow mullet style lure.

Absolutely sent that lure without even much of a effort and with wind around - effortless.

On retrieve that noise for me seems to be emanating from my non drive side - I've got those ceramic bearings in it but they're whisperer quiet. I just can't see the noise coming from the drive side pinion, even when there is slop between the pinion bearing and pinion itself, there's a definite gap between the 2 surfaces.

But on rotating with the side plate unhinged it seems there's noise from where the spool access screw side is? Weather it's accoustic travelling through the spool to that side it's anyone's guess.

Utterly love this reel, even when some young buck told me it looks trashed - outcast whatever he was using...

Another thing I'm going to try is adding a rubber buffer (as in dab of silicon RTV) to the inside of the friction plate (against the side access plate) on the screw access side to push the spool across a fraction and give it a anti vibration quality.

I'll just keep tinkering till I find the emitter.

Edit: put a dot of RTV silicone on the backs of the spool friction plates which are Delrin now not the OE fibre composite material.

Second fix was to sweat some silver solder onto the pinion as there was at least 0.03mm slow between the pinion surface OD and the bearing ID. I'm possibly putting it down to a seized bearing in the past prior to my ownership and the pinion just wearing away on the harder stainless steel surface...
Anyhow some solder sweat on and hand filed down to a tolerance of fit and it definitely feels better without that rattling sound. All that's left is gear noise to which I can attribute to poor gear alignment from the pinion just resting on the spool shaft and pin for X amount of years and use without any maintenance.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240216-060553.jpg
Filed to interference fit
Screenshot_20240216-060553.jpg (39.88 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
Screenshot_20240216-060547.jpg
Sweating silver solder
Screenshot_20240216-060547.jpg (30.89 KiB) Viewed 1472 times