Stella SW (2019) drag specs

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Busanga
Angler
Angler

Stella SW (2019) drag specs

Post by Busanga » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:53 am

How does Shimano come up with their drag numbers on their spinning SW series reels.

They claim some crazy drag numbers but I have not met anyone who can get even close to what they claim.

People have tried clamping down drag as hard as possible and using only few wraps around spool.

Still at 30 to 40% less than shimano claim...

What is going on. ? Even Alan Hawk says they are completely over claiming the drag.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Stella SW (2019) drag specs

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:25 am

All the drag numbers I have seen were manually measured on a calibrated force meter. If the drag is not reaching the spec then it needs to be sent in for warranty evaluation and repair.

I doubt anyone is using a properly calibrated scale that has the calibration checked yearly. I have two at my desk and they cost much, much more than a simple spring scale. These are made by Imada. One is rated to 300N and the other is to 100N for finer measurements on smaller reels. They sell for around $500-600US.

I can say I don't think I have ever seen a Stella SW sent in for not making enough drag.

I was going to say a lot more about the reviews and "tests" I see out there...It's probably best that I keep those to myself.

Busanga
Angler
Angler

Post by Busanga » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:00 am

Hahaha don't keep it to yourself... do tell.

Interesting on the drag measurement issue. I can say there is plenty enough drag on mine, I have not measured max, but for what I do I would never need max drag anyway... my back wouldn't take it :)

I assume an easy way to verify it would be to use static weights and see how much can actually be lifted of the floor slowly before the drag starts slipping.

And would have to be lifted by reel alone pointed straight down at weights not on a rod which would bring in a leverage factor....

Basically attach reel to just a reel seat, clamp it pointing down and start hanging weights of the line....

Will have to try it one day just for fun with my 14k SW.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:27 am

Static weights are not what you want to use. Drag is measured with force, not weight. Think of your car brakes. You would not measure car braking force by how much weight they can hold or pick up.

Newtons are used because they are a unit for force. We translate them to pounds or KG because most people understand those numbers. Pounds or KG are units of weight. 1 Newton is 1KG accelerated at 1meter per second. Since drag is a pulling force we need to measure it correctly.

Rule of thumb is 1/4-1/3 of the line rated strength. For example 10 pounds of drag for 30 pound line using the 1/3 rule. It needs to be measured through the rod guides. Some rods may add 1-2 pounds of force due to friction and the bend of the rod.