What happened to Aldebaran BFS 2022. Why Left and Right handle reels use the same contour star drag?

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
BEST79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What happened to Aldebaran BFS 2022. Why Left and Right handle reels use the same contour star drag?

Post by BEST79 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:46 pm

Just browsed the internet. I found something strange.

The latest aldebaran 2022 use the same contour star drag for both left and right reels. exactly it is the same part.

Lefty here.

Righty

As you can see the orientation of both star are the same.

Compare to the 2016's
Righty

Lefty

Clearly it was made specifically to Left and Right orientation.

Even the much less expensive Slx Bfs they have specific stardrag for Left an Right.

Anyone please explain it to me.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: What happened to Aldebaran BFS 2022. Why Left and Right handle reels use the same contour star drag?

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:20 am

I can only assume the engineers found the shape to be slightly universal for both left and right hand models. The sweep isn't as aggressive on the star compared to other models.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: What happened to Aldebaran BFS 2022. Why Left and Right handle reels use the same contour star drag?

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:02 am

I just inspected the first batch we received and the stars are right and left versions. I can only assume the images were from pre production reels or just a mistake was made.