Chronarch MGL 151HG Gear Set...

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Chronarch MGL 151HG Gear Set...

Post by tdm » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:35 am

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about replacing my Chronarch 151HG gearset down to 151,
But I've noticed that the 151 uses a different worm shaft (BNT5427)
than the 151HG (BNT5438), Do I have to replace that one too or is it ok
not to?

Thanks.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Chronarch MGL 151HG Gear Set...

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:32 am

With the faster gear ratio models they have increased the winding speed for the line lay. Since the spool is rotating faster, the faster line lay assists with line lay and helps to improve the balance on the spool. It's a small difference, but is noticeable with the XG reels.

However, going to a slower gear ratio you probably will not notice much difference in this situation.

tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tdm » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:05 am

Bantam1 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:32 am
With the faster gear ratio models they have increased the winding speed for the line lay. Since the spool is rotating faster, the faster line lay assists with line lay and helps to improve the balance on the spool. It's a small difference, but is noticeable with the XG reels.

However, going to a slower gear ratio you probably will not notice much difference in this situation.
Sounds good, Thank you Sir.

tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tdm » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:50 pm

Ok I got the parts today (BNT5593, BNT5595) and got them installed.
all went well except for when I rotate the handle to check if everything is ok
and instantly noticed an issue, it's like hitting a "bump" every handle turn, like a
click noise to be accurate, no resistance or anything just the click noise, gets worst
when applying slight thumb pressure on the spool while rotating the handle.
Reversed everything I did, and everything is back like the way it was.
I've replaced gear sets before and it's the first time I've encountered this issue. bad gear set maybe???

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:41 am

tdm wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:50 pm
and instantly noticed an issue, it's like hitting a "bump" every handle turn, like a
click noise to be accurate, no resistance or anything just the click noise, gets worst
I've replaced gear sets before and it's the first time I've encountered this issue. bad gear set maybe???
I fear it could be in the levelwind, maybe not everything is linking up as it should. This is a similar issue I had with a reel, ended up being in the levelwind. Maybe the HG and XG are synced up with the high speed levelwind, and the lower gear is off a bit? Maybe pushing it too hard against the edge of the levelwind worm? Just guesses, I would assume it shouldn't cause an issue. Did you try the original gears and the issue stopped?

tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tdm » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:11 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:41 am
tdm wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:50 pm
I fear it could be in the levelwind, maybe not everything is linking up as it should. This is a similar issue I had with a reel, ended up being in the levelwind. Maybe the HG and XG are synced up with the high speed levelwind, and the lower gear is off a bit? Maybe pushing it too hard against the edge of the levelwind worm? Just guesses, I would assume it shouldn't cause an issue. Did you try the original gears and the issue stopped?
That's a good point but it's kind of too late now for me to check and yes, I put the old gears back and the noise went away.
I called Shimano customer service, explained the situation and they told me to send the reel with the new parts installed for evaluation. The reel is on its way, and I guess we'll see.

Thanks

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:11 am

I suspect one of the replacement gears has damage. It won't be the wormshaft.

tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tdm » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:28 pm

I finally got my reel back today, Shimano replaced the gear set and just by playing with it, everything seems
to be working fine. I haven't fully test it yet, but I'm pretty sure it's all good now.