22 Bantam MGL...

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 22 Bantam MGL...

Post by tdm » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:41 pm

schematics for the new Bantam A are finally available at Shimano's website and just as i thought the pinion gear still has two bearings, same with the spool. so x-ship is still there but revised or improved and is now infinity drive. can't wait to get mine but have to wait a while :x
Attachments
22btmhl1.jpg
22btmhl1.jpg (69.83 KiB) Viewed 3228 times

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:39 am

tdm wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:41 pm
schematics for the new Bantam A are finally available at Shimano's website and just as i thought the pinion gear still has two bearings, same with the spool. so x-ship is still there but revised or improved and is now infinity drive. can't wait to get mine but have to wait a while :x
Nice to see! Pretty sure it has the standard 2 main shaft, 2 pinion, 2 spool, 1 anti reverse for the body. 2 more for the handle to make the advertised 9. This model probably won't be for me, seems that it grew into more of a tank reel for heavier duty applications. Can't wait to see a side by side with the old Bantam MGL to get it all into perspective.

tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tdm » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:44 am

I finally got my 22 Bantam 151HG and been using it for about two weeks now. I've noticed a big improvement in retrieve and a little bit in casting distance compared to my 18 Bantam, almost cast as good as my Metanium B IMO. Will be getting another one for sure \:D/

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:52 am

tdm wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:44 am
I finally got my 22 Bantam 151HG and been using it for about two weeks now. I've noticed a big improvement in retrieve and a little bit in casting distance compared to my 18 Bantam, almost cast as good as my Metanium B IMO. Will be getting another one for sure \:D/
Thanks for posting that schematic, I missed it before. I can tell the design is a bit different, just haven't fully figured out still how Infinity Drive works, other than a tighter fit between the pinion/spool shaft. I initially thought it was something with the main shaft, my Conquest had an extra bearing there and it confused me.

Concerning the Metanium versus the new Bantam, does anyone have the new 2022 Bantam's 35mm spool weight???

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:13 am

The double bearing on the Conquest is to help lighten the rotation force. It has nothing to do with Infinity Drive.

Infinity Drive is a feature to make it easier to turn the handle under a load. This can be achieved in several ways. On Stella for example there is a special coating on the spool shaft to help reduce friction inside the pinion gear and spool shaft support bushing. I have been trying to get confirmation as to what was done on Bantam. I suspect there is a coating on the inside of the pinion gear, but I need to confirm that.

tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tdm » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:53 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:52 am
tdm wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:44 am
Thanks for posting that schematic, I missed it before. I can tell the design is a bit different, just haven't fully figured out still how Infinity Drive works, other than a tighter fit between the pinion/spool shaft. I initially thought it was something with the main shaft, my Conquest had an extra bearing there and it confused me.

Concerning the Metanium versus the new Bantam, does anyone have the new 2022 Bantam's 35mm spool weight???
I posted some spool shaft pics difference between the old and new bantam on previous page and yes, a tighter fit between the pinion/spool shaft and since the pinion gear having a new part number tells me it's all in that area, whatever it is, it works well, very effective and I'm good with that (I have two 22 Bantam now \:D/ ). I'm almost sure that special coating on the shaft is only for spinning reels since the pinion gear in bait caster is completely free from the spool shaft when casting and locked in together on the retrieve, but I'm sure bantam 1 will have an accurate answer soon.

Not sure about the spool weight but it wouldn't surprise me if the Metanium spool is a little bit lighter.
Attachments
22bantam.jpg
22bantam.jpg (14.33 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
18bantam.jpg
18bantam.jpg (52.58 KiB) Viewed 2413 times

tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tdm » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:49 pm

Based on the new shape of the area of the shaft where the spool pin is located (I'm not sure what it is called, and I wish I knew) and from what I've read on their websites, Infinity drive in the new Bantam is a new way the pinion gear hugs the larger diameter of the spool shaft where the pin in located, the pinion when engaged with the spool have a better or solid connection and doesn't rely on the spool side X-ship bearing for full support, that bearing is now only there to keep the pinion in place when the thumb bar is engaged.

This is from Shimano Japan:
22BantamA.jpg
22BantamA.jpg (36.6 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
"It is newly equipped with an Infinity drive, a new structure that supports the spool shaft from the inside of the pinion gear instead of the bearing on the spool side with a large rotational resistance. The rotational resistance of the gear part is greatly reduced, and high strength is achieved while realizing a lighter and more direct winding than before. It follows the 21 Calcutta Conquest as a bait casting reel and is the first low-profile Bantam to be installed. The Infiniti Drive brings even more comfort and strength to the highly rigid core solid-bodied Bantam. This exquisite combination takes Strong Versa Tiles to a new level".