cardiff

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

cardiff

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:10 am

I have an early 2000's Cardiff 300A.
Are the newer models improved, and, if so, how?
And will a Tranx power handle fit on my Cardiff?

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: cardiff

Post by earthworm77 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:11 pm

I think they are pretty much the same.
I know a lot of guys who fish large swimbaits that are using 300 series Cardiffs.
They are a relatively inexpensive option for that but they will fail at some point with the big stuff.
If you are looking a reel for larger baits I'd go for a 250 series Calcutta, you can likely find them on Ebay for what a Cardiff costs.
.........or use that Tranx.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:13 pm

earthworm77 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:11 pm
I think they are pretty much the same and have at least some plastic internals
I know a lot of guys who fish large swimbaits that are using 300 series Cardiffs.
They are a relatively inexpensive option for that but they will fail at some point with the big stuff.
If you are looking a reel for larger baits I'd go for a 250 series Calcutta, you can likely find them on Ebay for what a Cardiff costs.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:37 am

earthworm77 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:11 pm
I think they are pretty much the same.
That's what I worry about with the Cardiff's smaller gears. I was thing that the Tranx power handle might give me better leverage on bigger fish. I also worry that it may strip the gears more quickly, because I would be able to really crank on them, instead of fighting them with the rod.
But I'd still like to try it, because the stock handle is 80mm+-.
Do you know if that handle will fit the Cardiff?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:17 am

The Tranx handle will not work because the driveshaft is a different size. The Cardiff A is the second generation and hasn't changed really since it was released. It is based on the Calcutta 400 for gearing. The gears are small, but they are durable.

If you want a "power" handle you can use the handle from the Calcutta 400BSV. Any of the longer double handles we have now are a swept design and probably will not clear the drag star.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:48 pm

Bantam1 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:17 am
The Tranx handle will not work because the driveshaft is a different size. The Cardiff A is the second generation and hasn't changed really since it was released. It is based on the Calcutta 400 for gearing. The gears are small, but they are durable.

If you want a "power" handle you can use the handle from the Calcutta 400BSV. Any of the longer double handles we have now are a swept design and probably will not clear the drag star.
Thanks.
Do you have a part number, and/or a source for that handle?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:00 am

BNT3369

I know they are on back order currently but some of our service centers might have them. I would try Thorne Bros in Minnesota since they tend to carry those for the Muskie market. Another place to try is Southwestern Parts & Service in Dallas. I'm sure you can find them on places like Ebay also.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:11 am

Bantam1 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:00 am
BNT3369

I know they are on back order currently but some of our service centers might have them. I would try Thorne Bros in Minnesota since they tend to carry those for the Muskie market. Another place to try is Southwestern Parts & Service in Dallas. I'm sure you can find them on places like Ebay also.
Thanks.