Hell of a job Shimano Peterborough

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Hell of a job Shimano Peterborough

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:05 pm

Just wanted to give a shout out to Chris who performed a fantastic servicing on my two old Curado E's and a Calais with a broken thumb bar release (I know, not a technical term).

The Calais was fixed up and turned up. Works perfectly. But my two E7's are working better than when they were purchased.

Smooth as silk, and cast a mile.

Really, a great job by the boys in Peterborough.

Wish they would have seviced my Stella "B" as well, but unfortunately they don't have the parts, so I guess they don't service the reels without parts (although it didn't need any parts, just a good cleaning).

Thanks again Shimano Canada
1-2%

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Hell of a job Shimano Peterborough

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:03 am

The guys are up there are solid for sure.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:53 am

Chris is awesome and a great fishermen too!! Hammer out the reels and fish!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:15 pm

by the way, the Stella "B" i'm referring to is the one I bought of you cndbasshunter.

On my 804 NRX XMR it is the best outfit I've ever fished.

I call it Stella Blue (after my favourite Grateful Dead song).

It truly is a remarkable reel. The shape you sold it to me in 2014 was absolutely incredible. It still is today, but in five years of heavy use, I literally haven't touched it - just fished it hard.

Starting to feel some wear.

Chris mentioned due to not having access to parts, he wasn't comfortable opening it up and performing a servicing.

I wonder what my options are....

Anyway, thought I'd thank you again, 5 years later. It still is my favourite reel I own.
1-2%

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:25 pm

speaking of my combo Stella Blue, many years ago Bantam you mentioned to me a product I could get to put over the reel seat to close the gap on the reel seat on the NRX XMR. The Stella B doesn't lock completely down on the XMR. I use some green painters tape around the reel seat ... and it works.

I forgot (of course) what it was, and the boys in Peterborough weren't sure what I was talking about (they saw the green tape on my Stella and asked what it was for).

They said they have a guy "Dan" in the US that likely knew what I was talking about. I told them it "was" Dan in the US that told me, but I forgot :)

Do recall what I'm talking about? (Or did I dream it all) :)
1-2%

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:31 am

We used to have a plastic shim for the Calais. It could be trimmed to fit the shape of the foot and used between the foot and reel seat. They have been discontinued now for a few years.

We suggest annual service on all of our reels. It helps the reels last longer as well. On the next Stella I suggest having it serviced once per year.

I speak to Chris quite often and have worked several shows with him. Good dude and one of my favorites up there in the north. A lot of the Canadian guys in the office there are cool. A few of them have retired now but it was great working with them. My dad is originally from Canada so maybe that's why I get along with the guys up there :lol:

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:19 pm

sorry, so the reason shimano wouldn't service my Stella was because it wasn't serviced every year prior?

Chris advised they wouldn't service the real due to not being able to "open it up". His words.

I said there wasn't anything mechanically wrong with it...drag and gears are fine. Just needs a lube, oil, and filter.

They sent it back to me unserviced, advising they are unable to service a reel that they cannot obtain parts for.
1-2%

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:55 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:19 pm
sorry, so the reason shimano wouldn't service my Stella was because it wasn't serviced every year prior?

Chris advised they wouldn't service the real due to not being able to "open it up". His words.

I said there wasn't anything mechanically wrong with it...drag and gears are fine. Just needs a lube, oil, and filter.

They sent it back to me unserviced, advising they are unable to service a reel that they cannot obtain parts for.
Not that you never service the stella before part.

I'm guessing is if he opens the Stella and starts to service if a seal breaks or small parts are worn/needs replacing he wont have any available to properly fix the issue. I know a few guys sent in vanquish and odd jdm reels and he didn't have parts needed so he sent the reels back.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:17 am

When we do not have parts we will not service the reel. There are some small things that can get lost or be damaged when the reel is disassembled. We can also feel the reel before opening it and determine the gears may need replacement. If we do not have them, we cannot repair the reel.

The Stella FB has been discontinued since 2007. We tend to keep parts for about 7-10 years for the Stella model reels.

I advised you to have your reels serviced annually because it will help the reels last longer. This delays parts replacements and we can also catch issues before they become a problem. This way your reel is always in top condition. It's like taking your vehicle in for an oil change. The technician will typically take a look at other fluids, brakes, tires, etc. They will notify you if there are things that need to be addressed. The same is true for any mechanical object.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:27 pm

thank you for clarifying.
1-2%